SQL Database and Contact Form

john.grisum

I need to create a PHP contact form that submits to a hosted SQL database that a program called email2db is able to download and process/parse into automated messages.The programming/tools need to be rather complete as my knowledge of code is rather limited. I have looked into a great many places and have not found many complete solutions that are applicable to my situation (ex: most require a subscription service, which is unacceptable.). A straight database pull is used so nothing fancy is required. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great.

I'm not really sure what you're asking for. Are you asking how to make a form submit to the hosted database? Do they have an API or documentation or anything to look at?

• 9 months later...

I have actually revisted the problem. I need to start off with a form (contact form, etc) that is able to submit to a server hosted SQL database. Something nice and simple (secure, etc). The secondary aspect is to have an administration type program (or API) to manage the submitted information. Im used to using existing databases with SQL Server Management Studio, but I dont really know where to start in regards to mysql stuff. Some inspiration would be greatly appreciated! P.S.: With 1300 views I think other people are interested also.

A form doesn't submit directly to a database, it submits to a processing script using a language like PHP or ASP.net that can process the submitted data and add it to a database that the language can connect to. What problems are you having, do you have a server set up? Is the database software installed, and the database set up? What tools do you have already available?

We have a server set up with Cpanel (phpmyadmin, mysql, etc). We are starting from scratch. I guess the best process layout would be a php contact form > php script > sql database > some sort of managment/GUI/API tool. We cant seem to find any example of a form, php to sql script, or management/GUI/API tools.

Each one of those is a separate step. There are several examples on the w3schools site of creating forms in HTML, and other examples showing how to use PHP to get the data from a submitted form. There are additional examples that show using PHP to insert data into a MySQL database, it doesn't matter that your data happens to come from a form, the technique is the same regardless of where the data comes from. You can use PHP to write your own set of management tools where you select the records from the database and display them on the page with things like edit or delete links, or you can use phpMyAdmin to export the data to a spreadsheet or something and go from there. There's some additional information about processing forms in PHP here: http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=12509

Archived