forbidden 403 when access w3schools forum

gongpex

You weren't the only one that was having that problem. I think something may have been up with the server the forum is on or something. :)

hello everyone,almost for a week I cannot access w3schools forum,when I access this forum, my browser display "forbidden 403".just today I can access again.what happened here?please tell methank you

I've not had the opportunity (yet) to post the official message - but it was a combination of exceeding limits and outdated software. Both issues were not only resolved but addressed to prevent the issue from occurring in the future.

I assumed it was a bandwith issue from the Apache error that was spewed out. My assumptions were verfied as the boards were back up and running on the 1st of the month.

I've not had the opportunity (yet) to post the official message - but it was a combination of exceeding limits and outdated software. Both issues were not only resolved but addressed to prevent the issue from occurring in the future.
When you say outdated software Skemcin, do you mean the possibility of an exploit?

When you say outdated software Skemcin, do you mean the possibility of an exploit?
It's an Apache exploit that lets you basically DDoS a server with relative ease. It is in every version of Apache from 1.3 - 2.2(?). So you should update your Apache packages. I just got back from holiday and I'm about to do it.

Skemcin was referring to the fact that our forum software wasn't up to date, although I don't think that in itself had much to do with the outage. Apparently the forum had exceeded its limit for "concurrent users", however they define that, so the account has been upgraded so that we won't hit limits like that in the future, and I believe we're on an update plan for regular forum updates.

Archived