Howdy_McGee

I know the basics of PHP and MYSQL but I can't seem to get down putting it all together in order to make an admin panel / website backend. I was wondering if anyone knew of any specific tutorials that covered creating admin panels / website backends so I could get a feel of what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

You're supposed to apply what you've learnt to do that. It's like a puzzle: You have all the pieces but you have to use your imagination to put them together. Tutorials so specific as "making an admin panel" may hinder your learning by simple giving you code to copy and paste. The idea behind web applications is this: there are inputs, data storage and data retrieval. The first thing is to input a user that has admin priviledges (a field in a database would do that). The registration page is another form of input, which adds new users to the database. A user under an admin session will be able to write and read more things in the database than an average user can. You choose what is written and read with your SQL queries. You determine what priviledges a user has by using information about the user retrieved from the database.

That may be true, but if I start putting all these pieces together and am not using the best practices or the best/fastest way - it's going to be tough to (1) find a job with those kind of practices and (2) if I keep repeating these bad practices i'll never be able to become the programmer I want/need to be. That's why I rely on tutorials to provide a windows to look though on what I'm supposed to be doing an why I'm doing it.

Hi Howdy, Though I agree with Doutone Fox, it might be a good idea then for you to pick up a php/mysql book(s). There's a book called Headfirst PHP and MySQL that deals with what you're talking about. It shows you how to do some of the things you described by making websites that have to do with that. Another book I like is PHP and MySQL Web Development, Fourth Edition. A more in depth book, but more like a reference book. They give examples too. Good luck. :-)

That may be true, but if I start putting all these pieces together and am not using the best practices or the best/fastest way - it's going to be tough to (1) find a job with those kind of practices and (2) if I keep repeating these bad practices i'll never be able to become the programmer I want/need to be. That's why I rely on tutorials to provide a windows to look though on what I'm supposed to be doing an why I'm doing it.
Don't try to be a god from the first moment you picked up programming, it's not going to work :) I am new in this kind of stuff too but i rarely use a tutorial to do something specific (like "how to make an admin control panel"). I just know the languages, i know exactly what i want to do (for example make a log in script that accepts only users with admin privileges), and i start coding it. When i started i was completely crap, now i am getting better and better, because i tried, and i failed, and learned from my fail. Do not try to start programming from the middle of the pyramid, start from the base. If you just copy techniques you find in the web you will never be able to remember the code and be independent. You will be referring to external sources every time. My advice is this, write down a TODO list, with everything you will be needing in the control panel, and start making it piece by piece. If you experience some difficulties or have any worries (for example i always worry about how safe the script is), then try to get some tips. But don't ask for ready solutions i don't think it will help you learn.

As you say that you would use bad practice in your code without knowing this won't be a problem. Say you manage to build an admin panel. The way you got where is by solving problems and it made you learned new functions which change your thinking of the model a bit and result in what you rewrote most of you code for this new method. Also changing and updating your panel will bring new knowledge. Every step will be some kind of learning step in your programing.

Don't try to be a god from the first moment you picked up programming, it's not going to work :) I am new in this kind of stuff too but i rarely use a tutorial to do something specific (like "how to make an admin control panel"). I just know the languages, i know exactly what i want to do (for example make a log in script that accepts only users with admin privileges), and i start coding it. When i started i was completely crap, now i am getting better and better, because i tried, and i failed, and learned from my fail. Do not try to start programming from the middle of the pyramid, start from the base. If you just copy techniques you find in the web you will never be able to remember the code and be independent. You will be referring to external sources every time. My advice is this, write down a TODO list, with everything you will be needing in the control panel, and start making it piece by piece. If you experience some difficulties or have any worries (for example i always worry about how safe the script is), then try to get some tips. But don't ask for ready solutions i don't think it will help you learn.
I agree and disagree, every programmer learns in different ways. I know a variety of languages but PHP is one that I am zoning in on as a speciality. I also feel that you'll never be able to know everything about a language and that you'll always have to look at external sources because by the time you've memorized a language; they've updated it and changed everything. But yeah trial and error is a great way to learn but after awhile you just hit a wall. It just seems like when I'm doing this I run into so many problems that I can't keep asking forums for help. Maybe I like tutorials better because everything I've been taught about programming has been school based.

I agree and disagree, every programmer learns in different ways. I know a variety of languages but PHP is one that I am zoning in on as a speciality. I also feel that you'll never be able to know everything about a language and that you'll always have to look at external sources because by the time you've memorized a language; they've updated it and changed everything. But yeah trial and error is a great way to learn but after awhile you just hit a wall. It just seems like when I'm doing this I run into so many problems that I can't keep asking forums for help. Maybe I like tutorials better because everything I've been taught about programming has been school based.
I agree with you everyone has his own method of learning. I just said what my opinion is and the way i am trying to learn. You will definitely ask for help when you hit a wall, answers won't just pop in your mind. I did my comment because you asked for something general. I am not a teacher or something, as i said i am just an amateur with minimum of experience.

Archived