Advice On How To Make My Site Look More Professional

Guest Keytone

I started a site for fun about ten months ago and began learning HTML here. I have in the past 4 months created a sister site under the same domain name. The first site is just for entertainment and the second is an affiliate site just for shopping. I'm still learning html but have learned enough to make the sites and have used other people's javascript code that I got from sites that provide free copy&paste code. You can tell how little I know by looking at the sites. I want to make them look more professional, they look childish right now. I am looking for advice on how I should proceed to make them look better. I'm prepared for any criticism and would be very appreciative. Thanks, JD ( keytone) :facepalm:http://jdsplace.us

Remove animated GIFs. Put content into boxes (<div> elements styled with CSS) and center the page, but not the text. Don't use oversaturated colors for backgrounds. Code-wise, get right of <font>, <center> and <br> tags. Learn CSS properly (W3Schools has a decent CSS tutorial.)

He means that everything in your website is positioned in the top-left corner. Position your elements in the middle of the page, this way it will look way better. We are talking about horizontal centering. Just to clarify this

I started a site for fun about ten months ago and began learning HTML here. I have in the past 4 months created a sister site under the same domain name. The first site is just for entertainment and the second is an affiliate site just for shopping. I'm still learning html but have learned enough to make the sites and have used other people's javascript code that I got from sites that provide free copy&paste code. You can tell how little I know by looking at the sites. I want to make them look more professional, they look childish right now. I am looking for advice on how I should proceed to make them look better. I'm prepared for any criticism and would be very appreciative. Thanks, JD ( keytone) :facepalm:http://jdsplace.us
- Keep it simple and have a goal for the page which is clear and keep it readable.- Guide the user through the page so the content make sense.- You want the user, the user don't want you so be nice. (Think for the user, what it wants or the user will leave and find something else better.)

You should probably also aim for a consistent colour scheme (and layout, and font, and everything else, basically). Consistency!

Archived