Need Help In 2 Level Xml Parsing With Javascript

harry0812

Hi,I have a xml file in the following format<employee><name>a1</name><age>22</age> <company> <name>company1</name> <address>address1</address> </company><tenure>3yrs</tenure></employee> I want to parse the xml file in javscript without using any getelementById or getelementByName. I was able to parse the xml using nodeValue, nodeType, however I am not able to parse inside the "company" tag (as company is a second level node). I am just able to extractname=a1age=22company=tenure=3yrs. Can someone please assist me with the script to even parse inside company tag using nodeType and nodeValue.Thanks in Advance !!

Yes, i am using childnodes[0], however for some reason its not able to traverse inside the company tag. Dont know where am I making the mistake . This is the scriptfunction get_firstchild(n){x=n.firstChild;while (x.nodeType!=1) { x=x.nextSibling; }return x;}x=xmlDoc.documentElement;firstNode=get_firstchild(x);document.write(firstNode.childNodes.length);for (i=0;i<firstNode.childNodes.length;i++){if (firstNode.childNodes.nodeType==1) { //Process only element nodes document.write(firstNode.childNodes.nodeName); document.write(" = "); document.write(firstNode.childNodes.childNodes[0].nodeValue); document.write("<br />"); }}

Yes, i am using childnodes[0], however for some reason its not able to traverse inside the company tag. Dont know where am I making the mistake . This is the script function get_firstchild(n){x=n.firstChild;while (x.nodeType!=1) { x=x.nextSibling; }return x;} x=xmlDoc.documentElement;firstNode=get_firstchild(x);document.write(firstNode.childNodes.length);for (i=0;i<firstNode.childNodes.length;i++){if (firstNode.childNodes.nodeType==1) { //Process only element nodes document.write(firstNode.childNodes.nodeName); document.write(" = "); document.write(firstNode.childNodes.childNodes[0].nodeValue); document.write("<br />"); }}
I don't code what mush in JS but I suggest you use Firebug to see where you get the error, or you could run small blocks of the code to see where it stops also alert the values of the variables to see if they get the right value. If I would be you I would use JQuery for reading xml files, but doing it your way is better cause you will learn more from it.

Archived