Linking From A Background Image In Css

billydocks

Hello everyone,I am brand new to this, as may already be evident from the wording of my thread title. After some reading and practice, I am fairly confident on the basics of CSS and XHTML, and I am wanting to push myself a little. In the website I am creating for my own practice sake, I have an external CSS page which is working satisfactorily for basic things around the website. Now I'd like to see if I can make certain sections of the background image to be links to other pages, instead of the HTML navbar I have created. So if I want different sections or elements of the background image to link to other pages on the website, is there a way to do this? If this is written into external CSS, then it should be the same site-wide, correct? Perhaps I am biting off more than is helpful for me to chew at the moment. Any suggestions/corrections are welcome.Thank you for your time. It is much appreciated.

A background image doesn't link to anything. An HTML element does. You need the HTML <a> element if you want to link to somewhere. What you can do is have several <a> elements. Use CSS to show only a portion of the background image on each link. Another alternative is to use image maps

Cheers. The image maps look interesting, I'll look into that.

Use CSS to show only a portion of the background image on each link.
Does this mean I can program sections of the background image to disappear/appear on mouse roll over, or do you mean, using CSS, each page would have only certain portions of the background image visible ? or both, or am I misunderstanding completely?

Archived