CNT

I need to learn how do people go about updating their website(s). What I mean is suppose I design and develop a website (using HTML, PHP, and CSS), and host it, how does other (with given privilege) update on their own? 1) Any update news on home page (could be 3 times a month or daily, or even once every 2 months) 2) Event changes/updates... I am still struggling with calendars. FWIW, I am switching to Programmer’s Notepad and deleting Visual Studio 2008 as my HTML Editor. I need time to get used to PN (like have to start with a "project" before even creating a webpage). I have never touch WordPress. Is this where I need to use for others to do updates? I haven't create any SQL or database. I have SQL Server 2008, is that only for SQL language or it's a database server? Is that only for myself testing (localhost), since I would be using whatever the Hosting site offers? For a while, I have been trying to avoid Javascript. Now that doing PHP, it adds so much browser history (Yahoo! or some .gov sites does that). Looks like I will have to accept Javascript (and Java?) to do things on websites. I am disappointed with my mentor since he didn't help me much. In fact, when I did the CSS myself, he was taking my printouts of the CSS because he said he was seeing new things on what I did. I am no longer with him anyways... meaning I am left alone (and no money). http://www.excelcontractor.com/ Seeing this website is very nice. The owner is my friend and he did asked me if I wanted to do website for him some years ago, I said no. Good thing I said no, because there's no way I would do this much. I don't get jealous, but this flashing pictures is something I hope to be able to create on my own (with additional ideas). Does this website download Adobe Flash in order to do the sparkling pictures? What impressed me is that this website can do this without client's refusing the "request" to download such. Most clients have browser on "medium" security. I was offered a position to do a new website for a group just now... sigh, I backed off. Lastly... I live by Milwaukee, WI. If I could get a new friend to be a mentor with me, that would help me a lot (and motivate me too). Chuck

how does other (with given privilege) update on their own?
You need a database-driven CMS system. The pages display data from the database, and somewhere you build a system where people log in to change the data in the database.
I have never touch WordPress. Is this where I need to use for others to do updates?
You don't need it, but WordPress is one option if you don't want to build everything yourself and instead want to learn how WordPress does things.
I have SQL Server 2008, is that only for SQL language or it's a database server?
SQL Server is a database server (hence the "server" in the name).
Is that only for myself testing (localhost), since I would be using whatever the Hosting site offers?
It would be a good idea to use the same thing that is on the host so that you don't need to change your code when you upload it.
Does this website download Adobe Flash in order to do the sparkling pictures?
It uses a Flash photo gallery for parts.
What impressed me is that this website can do this without client's refusing the "request" to download such.
Your browser is set to accept those. Most browsers have Flash and other plugins enabled by default. I have them disabled in my browser, so I can tell there's a plugin there before I choose to load it.

You need a database-driven CMS system. The pages display data from the database, and somewhere you build a system where people log in to change the data in the database.
Is this something like: http://www.lightcms.com/ ?? Isn't it still like WordPress and CPanel, all same thing? I am not familiar with this, so I am asking. Say that I design a website for Jack and host the website through some hosting company. Now, that Jack wants to update events for next month, how would Jack do it? I was thinking of Jack just type some text, along with date, something like below: 01/01/2012 (something like a dropdown box)Happy New Year! We are having a potluck party at Place A at 3:00pm. Then Jack would submit it somehow and it gets updated in the website, without me maintaining it. I read somewhere that I need to start with a database-driven website from scratch, then it would do this. If I did HTML/CSS, I would have to re-do the whole website. I am at this point now (I am attempting to re-do it all), so I need to know what I need to do now off the bat. If there a W3S guidelines in doing this, I like that link. I create one website for one person and it's been hosted for one year. Now it expired and this person wants to keep it off for now. So, this is good time for me to re-do the website for this person. That web host has MySQL. Chuck

LightCMS is a content management system, just like Wordpress. cPanel is not a CMS - it is a server management interface. If you want content to be dynamically updated (events, text, whatever), then you need to use a server-side language. You can write a system from scratch, or you can start with a CMS and extend it for your needs. Tutorials on W3Schools such as the PHP one may help in this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived