Address Location Based On Ip

jimfog

Is there a way someone can learn the precise location of a computer based on its IP? There is this service here(http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm)but it will only give the general area the computer resides, not the precise location/address. Is it possible?

No - and thank heavens there isn't! That would be a horrible personal privacy violation. The only location data you can get from the IP is the country, and usually the region (province, state, etc.) and city. I wrote a while ago on how I implemented it in my website's analytics (I built my own instead of using Google analytics). The service I use is IPinfoDB, which is completely free if you register. I've been very happy with it.

No - and thank heavens there isn't!
certainly you are right about it. The reason i posed such a question is because i am developing a web application where the client will be required to enter some details, including address details.As an alternative i thought, not to require the address details(for user friendliness reasons so as to keep the form as simple as possible) and get these instead, using an IP location service. Of course, now, the latter is out of the question. As a side note, if it were possible to obtain such an an info probably it would not have any value because dynamic IPs are not stable. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

How google maps can obtain my precise location with just using my IP? Ip detection, as we said cannot do that.

What makes you think that Google can determine your precise location using only your IP? As we said, IP detection alone cannot do that. Google's streetview cars do look for wifi and log their locations, so if you're over wifi then Google might know where that network is. Cell phones have several ways of determining your location between cell towers, GPS, and wifi networks.

Impressive ,most impressive. Just read about it in google pages.And it seems someone building a web app can utilize that service .

Archived