Storing Data Without Php Or Database Software

dzhax

I am working on a website for my work but they will not give me a webserver. So basically I have to run it off a fileshare. This limits me to HTML, Javascript, and CSS formats to get anything done. I need to be able to accept data entered into a form and store it somewhere so it can later be queried for analysis in another website type format. Any suggestions? Somethings to keep in mind also so you know what I'm working with here. - older dell workstations running XP- IE7 is the only browser we are able to use on the work machines- No web server access or ability to pull in data from outside resources since the machines do not have internet access.

I'm not entirely sure but if it's possible, you can use XML for storing data. You can use JavaScript to retrieve the data from the XML file. BUT not sure how this is going to work for you when you need to be able to accept data entered from a form(HTML form I'm sure you're referring to). I think you might need a web server for that.

JavaScript can't write on the file system, and reading is only allowed once the user allows it.The best thing you can do (browser wise) is to dump the data as a text which the user will save by copy&paste-ing it in a text editor, and similarly, you can load it with a textarea in which the user enters it.The better alternative is that you make a desktop application in any language (e.g. C++, C#, etc.).

Archived