Xml Cdata Embeds Html Tags?

tinfanide

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><assessment><item id="1" question="What is the first letter of the English Alphabet?" answer="a" optionA="a" optionB="b" optionC="c" optionD="d" hint="<![CDATA[Today I went to the <b>beach</b>]]>" hintSource="First Source" /></assessment>

I used CDATA but it still returns parsing error.

You can't put elements, comments or CDATA sections inside an attribute. Just escape the HTML characters with < and >Another alternative is to structure the document to use elements inside the <item> element rather than attributes (which is the best way, attributes should be used carefully). You really should think about changing your XML structure. Something like this describes the data much better:

<item id="1">  <question>What is the first letter of the English Alphabet?</question>  <answer>a</answer>  <options>    <option>a</option>    <option>b</option>    <option>c</option>    <option>d</option>  </options>  <hint><![CDATA[Today I went to the <b>beach</b>]]></hint>  <hintSource>First Source</hintSource></item>

Yes, but one problem I always have is how to get acess to option in the XML structure mentioned in your codes.I always feel awkard with the use of childNodes[0].nodeValue

<item id="1">  <question>What is the first letter of the English Alphabet?</question>  <answer>a</answer>  <options>    <option>a</option>    <option>b</option>    <option>c</option>    <option>d</option>  </options>  <hint><![CDATA[Today I went to the <b>beach</b>]]></hint>  <hintSource>First Source</hintSource></item><item id="1">  <question>What is the first letter of the English Alphabet?</question>  <answer>a</answer>  <options>    <option>a</option>    <option>b</option>    <option>c</option>    <option>d</option>  </options>  <hint><![CDATA[Today I went to the <b>beach</b>]]></hint>  <hintSource>First Source</hintSource></item>

If there are many sets of item tags, can I first acess options and then acess option?It seems "cannot".

Here's an example of how to get some of the data of each item.

var question = item.getElementsByTagName("question")[0].firstChild.nodeValue;var answer = item.getElementsByTagName("answer")[0].firstChild.nodeValue;var options = []; var optionElements = item.getElementsByTagName("options")[0].getElementsByTagName("option");var i;for(i = 0; i < optionElements.length; i++) {  options[i] = optionElements[i].firstChild.nodeValue;}

Check the XML DOM tutorial for more details.

Archived