Does my site look good?

Allen Lawson

So Ive been designing my article writing website for some time now and just really need another opinion about it. I just launched so please excuse all the 404's. I'm looking for some real criticism. I want to know what detail you hate or like even if it's a simple as font color. http://allenlawson.net

The design is very simplistic... I personally like that, but keep in mind many clients want eye candy, and when you don't have any on your site, the default assumption is you can't deliver one (an assumption that can only be overloaded once you have a list of shiny eye-candy-ish web sites in your portfolio).Besides that... make titles and/or pictures clickable, so that they lead to the article or whatever. In fact, you may drop the "Read full article" links altogether. I say "may", because there are of course very noobish users who wouldn't click on anything that isn't a verb, and again, if your target is potential clients, then you may cater for them by also keeping the "Read full article" links. Either way, titles and pictures being clickable is a must.

I'll go with what b_r said about the links and articles, and i'll add one more thing. The thin parts of your letters in the logo (top left corner) don't look smooth for me. It's not something big, but a detail that got my attention.

None of the links work, including the blog. Not sure if this is intended of not.(By links I mean the horizontal nav)

I understand there will be 404's but are they just example blog posts?Because if you posted those posts they shouldn't be 404...

Hi allen,your website is very simple. I like the color combination- red, white and black. But I must agree with Boe_robot, the design is too simple, it bores me already. Perhaps a slideshow of your portforlio in the toppage would add some life to your website. And may I also suggest that you put some information about youself or about your business.

The fact that it looks "simple" is actually a good thing. No one wants to navigate this. That's a bit extreme but it illustrates the difference between your site and the "throw-up" sites that have been thrown up from horrible template / DIY quick sites. Did you use a CMS? There's no shame in it IMO. Like your favicon - simple, colorful and sharp. My addition would be a very subtle (I say subtle because a huge change would be bad) way to separate the divs or what ever is used to space out the articles on the main page. Also, give me your "allenlawson.net" banner and let me tweak your aliasing in the font. You have my info on Google+ It looks good over all. You'll do fine with it as is but finish up (or suspend navigation [hide it until later]) the content and you'll have a really good polished site. Good work.-Graham

Archived