"Archiving" practices

astralaaron

Hi I was hoping someone might be able to point me toward any articles or tutorials describing basic archiving principles.. I have some "news" sites for specific topics and after a few months the there are lots of stories. I get a little confused when I am thinking of how I should go about it. For example, should there be seperate tables to hold the archived pages or just leave them with the new posts and determine the archived ones based on their date? I really appreciate any help!

do you mean by backup your database? there is option in phpmyadmin for backup your database. or if it is for showing the news as archived to your user? you can set a boolean column to mark it as arhcived and later you can act upon that.

If you store archived records in a separate table then it will help speed up displaying the records from the main table, because there are fewer records to search through. The downside is that if you want to search through both archived and unarchived records then you need to use multiple queries, a union, or a join.

Archived