CDATA - Problem

FireDragon

CDATA displays what you show as it is. That's why JavaScripts in XML files are enclosed by CDATA sections- you keep the exact same characters, therefore use the script and you don't interfere with the parser.Show the full "broken" code please. I don't see a problem.[edit] A closer examination... When you write something like "<hr />" inside an XML element, it's treated as an XML element. Using "<hr />" instead returns the charaters "<" and ">" in the place of the entity codes, so therefore you get litteral the litteral text "<hr />". Using "<![CDATA[<hr />]]>" means that the parser shows litterly what's inside the CDATA section, which in our case is again the plain text <hr />. However, that doesn't mean that the special characters in CDATA were transformed to entites. They were just displayed on the screen as one whole (copy and paste or so to say) the same way as "<![CDATA[<hr />]]>" would have resulted in the litteral text "<hr />" .[/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

CDATA displays what you show as it is. That's why JavaScripts in XML files are enclosed by CDATA sections- you keep the exact same characters, therefore use the script and you don't interfere with the parser.Show the full "broken" code please. I don't see a problem.[edit] A closer examination... When you write something like "<hr />" inside an XML element, it's treated as an XML element. Using "<hr />" instead returns the charaters "<" and ">" in the place of the entity codes, so therefore you get litteral the litteral text "<hr />". Using "<![CDATA[<hr />]]>" means that the parser shows litterly what's inside the CDATA section, which in our case is again the plain text <hr />. However, that doesn't mean that the special characters in CDATA were transformed to entites. They were just displayed on the screen as one whole (copy and paste or so to say) the same way as "<![CDATA[<hr />]]>" would have resulted in the litteral text "<hr />" .[/edit]

<![CDATA[// other parameters    displaywhenempty=""    valuewhenempty=-1    displaywhennotempty="-select-"    valuewhennotempty=0function change(currentbox) {	numb = currentbox.id.split("_");	currentbox = numb[1];    i=parseInt(currentbox)+1// I empty all combo boxes following the current one    while ((eval("typeof(document.getElementById(\"combo_"+i+"\"))!='undefined'")) &&           (document.getElementById("combo_"+i)!=null)) {         son = document.getElementById("combo_"+i);      // I empty all options except the first one (it isn't allowed)      for (m=son.options.length-1;m>0;m--) son.options[m]=null;      // I reset the first option      son.options[0]=new Option(displaywhenempty,valuewhenempty)      i=i+1    }// now I create the string with the "base" name ("stringa"), ie. "data_1_0"// to which I'll add _0,_1,_2,_3 etc to obtain the name of the combo box to fill    stringa='data'    i=0    while ((eval("typeof(document.getElementById(\"combo_"+i+"\"))!='undefined'")) &&           (document.getElementById("combo_"+i)!=null)) {           eval("stringa=stringa+'_'+document.getElementById(\"combo_"+i+"\").selectedIndex")           if (i==currentbox) break;           i=i+1    }// filling the "son" combo (if exists)    following=parseInt(currentbox)+1    if ((eval("typeof(document.getElementById(\"combo_"+following+"\"))!='undefined'")) &&       (document.getElementById("combo_"+following)!=null)) {       son = document.getElementById("combo_"+following);       stringa=stringa+"_"       i=0       while ((eval("typeof("+stringa+i+")!='undefined'")) || (i==0)) {       // if there are no options, I empty the first option of the "son" combo    // otherwise I put "-select-" in it       if ((i==0) && eval("typeof("+stringa+"0)=='undefined'"))           if (eval("typeof("+stringa+"1)=='undefined'"))              eval("son.options[0]=new Option(displaywhenempty,valuewhenempty)")           else              eval("son.options[0]=new Option(displaywhennotempty,valuewhennotempty)")       else              eval("son.options["+i+"]=new Option("+stringa+i+".text,"+stringa+i+".value)")       i=i+1    }       //son.focus()       i=1       combostatus=''       cstatus=stringa.split("_")       while (cstatus[i]!=null) {          combostatus=combostatus+cstatus[i]          i=i+1          }       return combostatus;    }}]]>

Where every "&" was converted into & intro the representing HTML

The code you have provided is way too complex for my kind of JavaScript experience. Nevertheless, I was able to made some test with My own kind of an example...If this JavaScript is in XHTML file, keep it without CDATA sections. Even if in truth is suppose to be with CDATA, I can't think of a way around this odd (in my opinion) behaviour.If it's in XML file, use the CDATA around the script but inside the tag. If you use XSLT to transform that XML, simply use <xsl:value-of select="XPath to the JavaSciprt" disable-output-escaping="yes" /> (not working in Firefox... hopefully only "yet", not forever).