this.classname='selected' & remove class from others

dzhax

Got another question. I need a function that will onclick give the current <span> tag a classname of "selected" while at the same time checking other <span> tags and removing the "selected" class from it. Since only one item can be selected at a time. I am printing the list of <spans> like so:

<td id="pagesListed" style="width: 175px; background-color:rgba(205,205,205,25); color:dimgray;">	 Pages:	 <hr style="color:dimgray;"/>	 <?		  $pageResult = getDirectoryList('../../../lib/pages');		  asort($pageResult);		  foreach($pageResult as $key => $value){			   echo "<span id=\"".$value."\" onclick=\"page2Load('".$value."'); updateSelected(this);\">".$value."</span><br/> \r\n";			   $key_temp = $key;		  }		  $defaultPage = 'index.php';	 ?></td>

For those of you that are not fluent in php here is what will print when run.

<td style="width: 175px; background-color: rgb(205, 205, 205); color: dimgray;" id="pagesListed">	 Pages:	 <hr style="color: dimgray;"/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('404.php'); updateSelected(this);">404.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('biography.php'); updateSelected(this);">biography.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('computer-repair.php'); updateSelected(this);">computer-repair.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('construction.php'); updateSelected(this);">construction.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('contact-us.php'); updateSelected(this);">contact-us.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('custom-computers.php'); updateSelected(this);">custom-computers.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('demonstrations.php'); updateSelected(this);">demonstrations.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('home.php'); updateSelected(this);">home.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('ie6.php'); updateSelected(this);">ie6.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('ie7.php'); updateSelected(this);">ie7.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('index.php'); updateSelected(this);">index.php</span><br/>	 <span onclick="page2Load('upgrade-center.php'); updateSelected(this);">upgrade-center.php</span><br/></td>

From what i understand

function updateSelected(obj){	 obj.classname="selected";}

should suffice for setting the class but i have no idea how i would check for other spans currently displaying class=selected.and being that the class selected is such a generic name I would also need it to be limited check only under the parent element with id "pagesListed". Any help on this would be awesome.

function updateSelected(obj){var parent_elem = document.getElementById("pagesListed");var child_span = parent_elem.getElementsByTagName("span");for(i=0;i<child_span.length;i++){child_span[i].className=""} obj.className="selected";}

Edit: just fixed minor typo 'classname to className in obj.classname="selected";

sorry but that is not working. infact i dont even think its being called. Is this not a proper format?

<div onclick="page2Load('index.php'); updateSelected(this);" id="index.php">index.php</div>

I added alert('Is this working?'); to the beginning of the function and it never alerted.and yes I did change the <span>'s into <div> tags.

Archived