Critisize my website (www.eduardlid.net)?

eduard

My website (www.eduardlid.net) is almost finished! I´m working now on the english version of my Curriculum Vitae (now only in spanish!). This website I want to use for to apply for work!Please could you check the website, critisize it and perhaps you know a good text for the e-mail wihch I´m going to send to many companies in several countries!

is this website still to showcase your webdesign work? I'm not really sure how much work you can get if you don't have any work to show for it, and not to be harsh, but your website is very primitive, and doesn't really do much. I don't claim to be a good designer myself, but I can least showcase and implement functionality to serve the site, and make it look somewhat presentable. I don't really see much of anything on your site. I would just keep practicing and take some jobs on the side so you can actually get some experience and have portfolio that people can judge you on. (as we have mentioned numerous times before)

Thank you very much for your comments! However:- this website isn´t finished yet (tomorrow!)- I need money urgently- Argentina isn´t the USA- I´m very lucky, because in the hostel I now stay is now an experienced programmer and because I only have 1 other website to show (still many errors!), we are going to focus on that one later today!

Edited by eduardchile

yeah, I figured that's what you would say. Unless you have some radical redesign of form and functionality, I'm not sure what difference an extra day is going to make though. Either way, best of luck.

I´ll let you know the URL´s in the future; then you can judge! By this way I thank all the people of W3Schools who HELPED me!I´m satisfied so far, although I still have to learn a lot!

From my point of view, if you need a website for C.V , why don't you ask some higher experienced designer and somehow developer to design it for you.I bet there exit many people who would love to help you without a charge of money, with that simple layout and simple functionality you have there.what do you think scientist?

Of course I could (a part of my website is made by someone else!), but I don´t learn by that. To be a webdesigner I´ve to learn of my errors! Haven´t I?

Yes. But it takes years of practice and building many websites to get to the level that you can charge for it. That's we've been trying to tell you. But you can try regardless, but success may not be inevitable. Patience and persistance is the art of any great developer.

Edited by thescientist
  • Like 2

To get work, there are many more requirements (especially here in South-America!) e. g. knowing people, talking, being clever, etc-Fortunately, I possess these requirements!

Edited by eduardchile

well, you sound like some professor that I have previously met, he's a human development professor and he has always mentioned the requirements and needs of anyone applying for a job from a personal point of view.. like those you've just mentioned, but when it comes to skills of working, that's taken to another level because the expertise is a difficultly reached goal.. it come with practice, advice, reading, watching, listening, practising and even FAILING sometimes..but what we're implying is, if you need that website just to view the information you have about yourself, then let someone create it for you for the mean time.. until you learn everything you need my friend :)

Actually, it's not realy by talking, knowing people, when it comes to web design/development it is 'What you can do'... Just learn & practice. To me, talking/knowing people, is not important... When you are GOOD people will BEG to talk to you & search for the person behind a well designed/developed site.

• Like 1

I do it both ways!Now, there´s an experienced web developer in the hostel I now stay who helps me sometimes!But I design the website myself!And - again - Argemtina isn´t like the USA (in no way!). Things work very different here!

You can just say and do anything you want really, and whatever the situation is down in Argentina that you think doesn't exist anywhere else in the world is what it is. Regardless, if you are expecting people to base your merits on being a web developer based on this website, then I don't really know exactly what you think you are offering them as far as proof of concept. (JS/Jquery, AJAX UI, CSS menu's, PHP/MySQL, any sort of HTML5, etc). As for a web designer, while not every developer is also designer, they know when to have someone at least make the functionality they provide appealing enough to encourage people to actually navigate their site. So without form or functionality, sure a prospective client may know the difference at first, but when it comes times to get to task and deliver them a web application, I don't really see the capabilities to deliver much based on what your site offers. You only have one opportunity to make a first impression, I would make sure you are actually ready when that time comes.

One thing about you, is just that you dont listen... You currently stay in argentina, does't change anything. Do you think because you are at argentina, will make people accept you® website, even when it's bad? You site is not going to be visited only by people in argentina, its a WORLDWIDE thing, thats why you need to learn,listen,practice and improve on the site, befor presenting it. Goodluck!

Edited by eTianbun

You can just say and do anything you want really, and whatever the situation is down in Argentina that you think doesn't exist anywhere else in the world is what it is. Regardless, if you are expecting people to base your merits on being a web developer based on this website, then I don't really know exactly what you think you are offering them as far as proof of concept. (JS/Jquery, AJAX UI, CSS menu's, PHP/MySQL, any sort of HTML5, etc). As for a web designer, while not every developer is also designer, they know when to have someone at least make the functionality they provide appealing enough to encourage people to actually navigate their site. So without form or functionality, sure a prospective client may know the difference at first, but when it comes times to get to task and deliver them a web application, I don't really see the capabilities to deliver much based on what your site offers. You only have one opportunity to make a first impression, I would make sure you are actually ready when that time comes.
I hope my clients aren´t like your comments (although they are helpful!): they want a result in 5 seconds!

right, because clearly everyone on an internet (world wide web) forum has to be from USA. Maybe you don't look at other people's profiles, but I do. There is a sample of people from all over the world, and any of them would probably be saying the same thing. You have to take the time to work hard to get good at something. Your website is not evidence of that. Instead of taking it personally, realize that we all start at that level, and if we have the aptitude for, then after a couple years of hard work we can start making something out of it. Honestly, I'm not really surprised we are headed this road of conversation. You asked what we thought, and we are telling you our opinion. You ask every few months about your website/skills, and the answer is the same for a reason. Take more time. edit: I think you will find most clients expect a lot more than you realize.

Edited by thescientist

no offense meant, but seriously your website looks so outdated with the design, I must agree with all the comments here. I guess you should listen with what most people are saying about your website. With the kind of technology we have nowadays, it is really important that you develop a website with a compelling design because website is our medium of communication to connect to our clients. Gone are the days of static and very basic design of a website with limited or no functionality at all. Just like any communication tools, websites should also change because our technology is progessing. I guess, you should start looking for design inspirations to fuel up your creativity so that you can create a better design than this.

• Like 1

no offense meant, but seriously your website looks so outdated with the design, I must agree with all the comments here. I guess you should listen with what most people are saying about your website. With the kind of technology we have nowadays, it is really important that you develop a website with a compelling design because website is our medium of communication to connect to our clients. Gone are the days of static and very basic design of a website with limited or no functionality at all. Just like any communication tools, websites should also change because our technology is progessing. I guess, you should start looking for design inspirations to fuel up your creativity so that you can create a better design than this.
Thanks! Sorry, I don´t agree with you totally! It´s a fact that my website is out of date! However, I prefer a website like this much more than all that ´copy and paste´ stuff you see today on the web! Or I like a house made of wood, I don´t like a house full with artificial rubbish!

yikes, you clearly aren't reading/getting what people are suggesting, are you? No one is saying you have to fill your website with meaningless content, but the fact that it looks 20 years old will not endear anyone towards giving you serious consideration. If you want to work in the current times, you have to get with the current times. If you know how to develop well, then you don't need copy/paste code to make a good website with decent content and design. You can look at what people have done as inspiration, and to learn from their techniques and apply them to your own situation. A lot of people have made careers out of this, by writing their own code and putting it into production themselves. This applies to a strong core of people on this forum, and some in this thread. Yet they are the one's that you ironically struggle the most when it comes to taking their advice or suggestions. Like we've said, you will live and learn this on your own, if you think you are on the right track. Some people can't be changed.

Edited by thescientist
  • Like 1

Your best comment so far! I agree with you that I´ve to learn a lot, but another time: Argentina, Europe, Asia, etc. aren´t that advanced as the U. S. A. e. g. in the supermarket here they have music which was populair in the 1980´s in Europe!Fortunately, the world isn´t only the U. S. A.!