Critisize my website (www.eduardlid.net)?

eduard

Guest LH91325

Your website fails validation badly. I'm pretty sure you can have only one <HTML> element. :) In fact you have multiple HEADs and BODYs. That's carnage! http://validator.w3.....eduardlid.net/ Same thing for CSS. Validate that too. Not a good idea to have a showcase of your work and have the glass cracked. As a website designer your site should show some sizzle. The colors are very unappealing. It's more a page than a site, an entry or splash page and your CV page. Nothing there to inspire anybody to want to hire you. Slide the width back and forth, the elements jumble when you get below a certain width. Better to have them just scroll off the page. Use a contact form. Your email address is going to get harvested by spambots and you'll be spammed to death. I don't know what that site name, URL, description "Add link" thing is. Didn't do anything when I plugged in some stuff.

Edited by LH91325

Your website fails validation badly. I'm pretty sure you can have only one <HTML> element. :) In fact you have multiple HEADs and BODYs. That's carnage! http://validator.w3.....eduardlid.net/ Same thing for CSS. Validate that too. Not a good idea to have a showcase of your work and have the glass cracked. As a website designer your site should show some sizzle. The colors are very unappealing. It's more a page than a site, an entry or splash page and your CV page. Nothing there to inspire anybody to want to hire you. Slide the width back and forth, the elements jumble when you get below a certain width. Better to have them just scroll off the page. Use a contact form. Your email address is going to get harvested by spambots and you'll be spammed to death. I don't know what that site name, URL, description "Add link" thing is. Didn't do anything when I plugged in some stuff.
Ok, thanks!I´ll come back to you! (website isn´t finished yet!)

Guest LH91325

You're welcome. Actually I hit the wrong button and destroyed a better longer critique and was so frustrated that I just summarized the basic points. I just hate that you can't dig that stuff out of the browser cache, or maybe you can but too much effort... Look at some websites of other people in a similar line of work. You can't steal their words (copyright violation) but you can sure steal (or borrow) their ideas and follow them by example. Get in the habit of looking at source HTML and CSS on nice websites. Figure out how they did that stuff. For visually appealing sites, figure out why they look nice. Resize your browser window, make it really wide, then narrow it and try to break the webpage. Look at a web page (particularly your own) with different browsers. Websites have to look good, but they also have to work good and their code has to be secure. Good comment from Alvo above about SQL injection. I've been reading your other posts in the forum and I'll be surprised if you've even heard that term. Get your hands on some good code written by other people and figure out how their code works. Open source GPL stuff is great. WordPress is a great example of PHP + MySQL + HTML and CSS. Or look at phpBB and SMF forum software, or even phpMyAdmin. Nobody is a professional at PHP+MySQL design until taking apart that stuff is easy for them. (Noting that there's a Microsoft alternative to LAMP, as much as I detest MSFT.) There's almost no application for static webpages in commerce. I'll grant you that it's difficult to come up with an example page when all you have is your CV to post. When you have a few years of experience and a portfolio to show I'm sure you will laugh over your days as a beginner. Also, I'm sure it's quite a difficult thing to post your site URL and then accept the criticism. It will be a long time before I feel like doing that myself! I complement you on having the guts to run the gamut!

Edited by LH91325

You're welcome. Actually I hit the wrong button and destroyed a better longer critique and was so frustrated that I just summarized the basic points. I just hate that you can't dig that stuff out of the browser cache, or maybe you can but too much effort... Look at some websites of other people in a similar line of work. You can't steal their words (copyright violation) but you can sure steal (or borrow) their ideas and follow them by example. Get in the habit of looking at source HTML and CSS on nice websites. Figure out how they did that stuff. For visually appealing sites, figure out why they look nice. Resize your browser window, make it really wide, then narrow it and try to break the webpage. Look at a web page (particularly your own) with different browsers. Websites have to look good, but they also have to work good and their code has to be secure. Good comment from Alvo above about SQL injection. I've been reading your other posts in the forum and I'll be surprised if you've even heard that term. Get your hands on some good code written by other people and figure out how their code works. Open source GPL stuff is great. WordPress is a great example of PHP + MySQL + HTML and CSS. Or look at phpBB and SMF forum software, or even phpMyAdmin. Nobody is a professional at PHP+MySQL design until taking apart that stuff is easy for them. (Noting that there's a Microsoft alternative to LAMP, as much as I detest MSFT.) There's almost no application for static webpages in commerce. I'll grant you that it's difficult to come up with an example page when all you have is your CV to post. When you have a few years of experience and a portfolio to show I'm sure you will laugh over your days as a beginner. Also, I'm sure it's quite a difficult thing to post your site URL and then accept the criticism. It will be a long time before I feel like doing that myself! I complement you on having the guts to run the gamut!
I´m now very tired! But what do you exactly mean that my site looks more like a page than a website?

Aren´t you too perfect?

Guest LH91325
I´m now very tired! But what do you exactly mean that my site looks more like a page than a website?
Your website isn't much more than a splash page plus your CV, or plus two pages if you count the second CV in alternate language. It's static. It doesn't do anything but show your CV. Hey I've got my professional website with a single page too, just a brief summary of my CV and a contact form link, but I'm not calling it a website. It's nothing more than a place for people who know my name to figure out that I'm the right person and contact me. Note that I'm not a website designer by profession. I'm an engineer.
Aren´t you too perfect?
No I'm not too perfect. Nor am I too thin, too good looking or too rich. I can wish though! :) Well it's getting late here too, already 1336796234 UNIX time. :)

i'm sorry edouard, but are you kidding me?is that the website you wanted to create for yourself as a C.V website and a method to get customers?if yes, i really am speechless can't even say a word because i am as shocked as ######!

i'm sorry edouard, but are you kidding me?is that the website you wanted to create for yourself as a C.V website and a method to get customers?if yes, i really am speechless can't even say a word because i am as shocked as ######!
It would be very helpful, if you wrote why you are shocked!

Guest LH91325

You should fix that Eduard, it would take you only a very few minutes.

<html>    <head>    ....    </head>    <body>    ....    </body></html>

Then run the HTML validation and fix each of the errors. Consider that to be an HTML coding lesson. Figure out why each of the errors is not allowed, then fix them, and apply your lesson to your future coding. Here's the HTML validation site I use from W3C: http://validator.w3.org/

You should fix that Eduard, it would take you only a very few minutes.
<html>	<head>	....	</head>	<body>	....	</body></html>

Then run the HTML validation and fix each of the errors. Consider that to be an HTML coding lesson. Figure out why each of the errors is not allowed, then fix them, and apply your lesson to your future coding. Here's the HTML validation site I use from W3C: http://validator.w3.org/

THAT´S WHAT I CALL POSITIVE CONSTRUCTIVE HELP!

Guest LH91325

Eduard, part of your problem is that you skipped over the basic stuff and went directly to the intermediate stuff. You built your house on a foundation of sand. Every beginner begins any language with a "hello world" exercise. Everybody who did the HTML version knows there's only one HTML, one HEAD, one BODY. Heh, I still can't get over the multiple mangled heads and bodies! :) I hope you won't mind my small jest. :) Here's HTML's hello world example, without the formatting and tabulations: <HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY><P>Hello world!</P></BODY></HTML>

Eduard, part of your problem is that you skipped over the basic stuff and went directly to the intermediate stuff. You built your house on a foundation of sand. Every beginner begins any language with a "hello world" exercise. Everybody who did the HTML version knows there's only one HTML, one HEAD, one BODY. Heh, I still can't get over the multiple mangled heads and bodies! :) I hope you won't mind my small jest. :) Here's HTML's hello world example, without the formatting and tabulations: <HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY><P>Hello world!</P></BODY></HTML>
It´s for me amazing that you can explain me simple, straight what´s wrong! (no difficult language!)Sure, when you learn just html you know there´s 1 ..... But combining php + html is different; especially when you do it for the first time! Strange? For me not! Edited by eduardlid

Guest LH91325

Eduard there is no learning PHP until after you learn HTML. PHP won't do anything useful without HTML. HTML can do plenty of things without PHP. You're trying to learn to run before you learned how to crawl. I notice that your website still has 32 errors and 5 warnings from the HTML validator. Why don't you go fix your website instead of wasting your time replying to this topic? You shouldn't really expect any more critique until after you've fixed the problems that have already been brought to your attention. Your 15 minutes of fame is over. Go fix your website.

No, I have a big problem here in this hostel. Since some months someone is stealing food of me. Today I heared that she can stay (because she has paid - with my money!) and I´ve to leave because I couldn´t pay! Therefore, I can´t study well and I can´t concentrate well for some months. P. s. Your idea is my idea!

Good luck man! Start a blog. Write a novel.
I don´t understand this reply (nothing with programming)!

I don´t understand this reply (nothing with programming)!
What does this have to do with programming?
No, I have a big problem here in this hostel. Since some months someone is stealing food of me. Today I heared that she can stay (because she has paid - with my money!) and I´ve to leave because I couldn´t pay! Therefore, I can´t study well and I can´t concentrate well for some months. P. s. Your idea is my idea!

What does this have to do with programming?
Very much! Because:1 I´ve to spend a lot of time to this big problem (no time for learning!)2 Since a long time I cannot concentrate me (essential for learning/programming!)3 Stupid questions - terrible replies!

Very much! Because:1 I´ve to spend a lot of time to this big problem (no time for learning!)
So... no programming here... excuses instead. A good excuse, yes... but still.
2 Since a long time I cannot concentrate me (essential for learning/programming!)
Again, no programming... excuses...
3 Stupid questions - terrible replies!
Amen to that.OK then... I'll leave the topic open anyway... Eduard, feel free to not post anything at all until you get your situation sorted out to the point where a quick HTML fix is not a problem. Good luck.

I can´t do anything, until my problem - which I asked for hours in ´General´ is solved! All the time I´ve been trying without success!

Guest LH91325

Might be a nice idea to close the topic and invite Eduard to resubmit his site once it passes HTML validation. Just suggesting...

Might be a nice idea to close the topic and invite Eduard to resubmit his site once it passes HTML validation. Just suggesting...
Perfect idea, but I´m still waiting for help of my problem in ´General´ which I asked for hours! Without a solution to that problem I can´t do anything like I wanted to validate my html file since friday, but I´m still not able to do that! Edited by eduardlid