PHP showing on website?

eduard

I am applying for work now and I now am registered at several agencies. I am registered as a web designer (there are too many!) and they ask a lot of ´PHP´!So, I am re-learning PHP and MySQL.What do you suggest to show on my website (www.eduardlid.net) that I can do also PHP.E. g. a link from my homepage to a database?

Show an application that PHP can do, like allowing people to post comments on your website.
Ok, many thanks!

Show an application that PHP can do, like allowing people to post comments on your website.
I need it very soon! I am now applying for work and I need money urgently!So, how do I do that?- I already know a little bit of PHP and MySQL (although I have to re-learn them!)- XAMP already is installed on this pc- I can log in PHPMyAdmin

if you need a single comment system for whole of your site you can use flat files to store information. see file system handling function specificaly file_get_contents() and file_put_contents() and others. that would be a good start. prepare a form and store the data on submit.

if you need a single comment system for whole of your site you can use flat files to store information. see file system handling function specificaly file_get_contents() and file_put_contents() and others. that would be a good start. prepare a form and store the data on submit.
Thanks! However, I am going to use an example I found with Google!

I am thinking of making 2 portfolios: an english - and a spanish one! On my homepage of my website (www.eduardlid.net) a php application so one can chose between the english - or spanish portfolio.What do you think of that?

I guess... you could just do that with HTML, or maybe a little JS. Why don't you do something that PHP is usually used for? Interacting with databases (blog, comment section, etc) , creating login systems, or interacting with API's (Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc). You know, real programming, like the stuff you say you want to make money with.

I guess... you could just do that with HTML, or maybe a little JS. Why don't you do something that PHP is usually used for? Interacting with databases (blog, comment section, etc) , creating login systems, or interacting with API's (Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc). You know, real programming, like the stuff you say you want to make money with.
Good ideas! But, as I wrote before I urgently need work and I think for the things you mentioned I need (much) more time! (for studying)

oh yeah, then welcome to the club. You make more money doing more complicated things. However, you still can't even really do the simple things on your own. I would get used to waiting unless you really really study and practice. (a lot).

oh yeah, then welcome to the club. You make more money doing more complicated things. However, you still can't even really do the simple things on your own. I would get used to waiting unless you really really study and practice. (a lot).
I´ll do it my way! If I fail, you may laugh!

:good: thats a good idea, 0.o i hope i learn how to do that because i have a nice idea hehehehehehe :glare: foxy are you a girl or a guy? :glare:

eduardchile you can also make a newsletter system or a contact page, or a login system, register system, or make a social website, or a form, etc. if you want to learn php, im reading this book called first head i can send you a copy if you wish, just inbox me your info "i dont think you can upload files and send to people on here 0.o"

I´ll do it my way! If I fail, you may laugh!
How do we asses if you've failed? With a comment system, it's easy to asses - if and when people start to comment, you're on the right path (assume you're failing otherwise). With a contact form, it's also easy - if and when people start contacting you (perhaps with job offers), you're on the right path (assume you're failing otherwise).With an English and Spanish version of your web site... that isn't really making PHP "do" anything, and therefore doesn't help potential clients see what you're capable of. Even in Chile, there are web developers, so you're not impressing any Chilean clients. And you'll definitely not be impressing any English speaking clients with just having two languages either.

How do we asses if you've failed? With a comment system, it's easy to asses - if and when people start to comment, you're on the right path (assume you're failing otherwise). With a contact form, it's also easy - if and when people start contacting you (perhaps with job offers), you're on the right path (assume you're failing otherwise). With an English and Spanish version of your web site... that isn't really making PHP "do" anything, and therefore doesn't help potential clients see what you're capable of. Even in Chile, there are web developers, so you're not impressing any Chilean clients. And you'll definitely not be impressing any English speaking clients with just having two languages either.
Is this a good example (attached!) what you can do with PHP and what should be the answer?(html form isn´t finished yet!) P. s. I nowadays live in Argentina (Can someone change my user name please?)

Form.html

um, even without looking at the source... the fact that the only thing you've posted is an HTML file pretty much answers the question outright. No, it is not a good example of PHP. PHP examples, bizarrely enough, require actual functioning PHP code. Weird, huh? Again, just read your own thread. right here. on this page and you will find user contributed suggestion of what a good example of using PHP is.

also, making a request to one of the moderators would be the best way to get your username changed. (justsomeguy, boen_robot, or Ingolme are the most active mods here that come to mind)

um, even without looking at the source... the fact that the only thing you've posted is an HTML file pretty much answers the question outright. No, it is not a good example of PHP. PHP examples, bizarrely enough, require actual functioning PHP code. Weird, huh? Again, just read your own thread. right here. on this page and you will find user contributed suggestion of what a good example of using PHP is.
You are too early with your comments! (I´ve written page isn´t finished yet!). Of course there must be php in the code, but you´ve to make the page attractive for the customer (therefore this html form!).

whatever man. you asked if it was a good example of PHP, and there was no PHP. you just said the HTML form wasn't finished.

Is this a good example (attached!) what you can do with PHP and what should be the answer?(html form isn´t finished yet!)
but then again, like you've said, you don't know the difference between them anyway, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
are you saying that you can't tell if your code is HTML, Javascript, or PHP? :huh:
Yes (I´m that stupid!)

whatever man. you asked if it was a good example of PHP, and there was no PHP. you just said the HTML form wasn't finished. but then again, like you've said, you don't know the difference between them anyway, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
That´s why I put it in this forum, because I thought the others aren´t that stupid as I´m!

Right, whatever that means. Anyway, if you wanted your form to actually do something with PHP, then a simple example would be for the form to submit to a PHP script that would either populate the information into a database and/or send it in an email. That's something a client would expect from a web developer.

I´m thinking of showing a small image of a database on my homepage, make a working database in my portfolio and then making a link from the small to the working one!What about that?

what do you mean link to a database? you should really try and understand the technologies you're talking about before you actually try and use them.

A database is not something you just put out there like it's a picture or an HTML file. A database is "storage" (like literally... a "base", as in "place" or "store", for "data") that PHP uses to generate HTML or other things.(*caugh* the database is one of the inputs that PHP uses to generate an HTML page as output; a database can't be used as output to give as input to the browser *caugh*) Your clients can't use a database. They can use an application that will in turn use a database. We already gave you some examples for very simple applications that would need to use a database, such as a comment system or an email newsletter system. There are much more complex possibilities that would impress clients a lot more, but since you need to do things quickly, we recommend the simplest of applications that may make an impression.

A database is not something you just put out there like it's a picture or an HTML file. A database is "storage" (like literally... a "base", as in "place" or "store", for "data") that PHP uses to generate HTML or other things. Your clients can't use a database. They can use an application that will in turn use a database. We already gave you some examples for very simple applications that would need to use a database, such as a comment system or an email newsletter system.
I´ve read the comment of boen_robot again and what I understand now is that a database can show the results of input, but it´s not a php application; a comment system is (pfff for me!)

Archived