You are not able to lock posts [Resolved]

wolfkin

Original Subject: Forum Question: Is it possible to lock your posts? So this is my final new topic of the night and it's even more minor than the last. I'm just curious if I can lock my posts after my questions have been asked or should I just let it fall aside. some forums appreciate locking; some don't care; many don't have the option (from a non-admin view).

Edited by wolfkin

Members don't have the option to lock topics. I believe mods prefer to leave them open in case someone else wants to add something - as part of the solution or the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

In some forums elsewhere I see people who are very eager to lock and end threads. I think this is generally a bad thing. Even a very old thread can continue to accumulate useful information. The problem is when a thread gets very long and filled with generally useless back-and-forth banter rather than useful information.

Guest So Called

+1 It's a very selfish and self-centered thing to want to lock "your" topic. It seems to suggest that the OP owns the topic, and that the topic exists solely to serve the OP. If you're done with the topic then just quit reading it.

Why do you even want to lock a post? You asked a question, and you got an answer. Note that there are some other members, who wished to ask same question, but because you already did (asked that question), they just use your post to get the answer they needed. Sometimes, after 1 or 2 response(s) to your post, you may get the answer you needed clearly, but what about those who did not get it? They need to ask for more explaination through that same post, instead of creating a NEW topic with same question. Its better, to leaves all posts open (members only)!

Edited by CodeName

yeesh guys calm down a bit . I wasn't trying to be selfish. I was trying to be helpful. I know in some forums particularly help forums it can be annoying when questions get bumped long after their answered and just create noise. It's not like I NEED to lock my posts. It's just something I like to do if I have a simple question get a simple direct response and don't want to clutter up the forum with needless back and forth. that's all. If you say I can't lock it. I'm cool. I can accept that. That's why I had not originally responded to this. Quite frankly my question was answered and it was done. I find it slightly ironic that this is pretty much the sort of thing I was trying to avoid (3+ weeks later responses that aren't on topic and aren't particularly helpful)

In some forums elsewhere I see people who are very eager to lock and end threads. I think this is generally a bad thing. Even a very old thread can continue to accumulate useful information. The problem is when a thread gets very long and filled with generally useless back-and-forth banter rather than useful information.
yes but threads don't just appear long winded (very long and filled with generally useless back-and-forth banter rather than useful information) again my experience isn't the entire internet but what I've seen in other forums is that sometimes a question has an answer.. particularly when it's for instance a link to a more appropriate thread. When i ask a question and someone links me to a better version of the question with 5 pages of answers yeah maybe I might consider locking my thread rather than starting side conversations in what is now a redundant thread. Again I was just trying to help out the forum by trying to make myself tidy and reduce my clutter. That's all. I'm not trying to "claim ownership of the question" or anything like that. That's why it wasn't a demand but merely an inquiry. Edit: We really going to attack my semantics now? Edited by wolfkin

Guest So Called
yeesh guys calm down a bit . I wasn't trying to be selfish. I was trying to be helpful. I know in some forums particularly help forums it can be annoying when questions get bumped long after their answered and just create noise. It's not like I NEED to lock my posts. It's just something I like to do if I have a simple question get a simple direct response and don't want to clutter up the forum with needless back and forth. that's all. If you say I can't lock it. I'm cool. I can accept that. That's why I had not originally responded to this. Quite frankly my question was answered and it was done. I find it slightly ironic that this is pretty much the sort of thing I was trying to avoid (3+ weeks later responses that aren't on topic and aren't particularly helpful)
Just quit reading the topic. It may be noise to you but it must not be noise to other people or they wouldn't be replying.
yes but threads don't just appear long winded again my experience isn't the entire internet but what I've seen in other forums is that sometimes a question has an answer.. particularly when it's for instance a link to a more appropriate thread. When i ask a question and someone links me to a better version of the question with 5 pages of answers yeah maybe I might consider locking my thread rather than starting side conversations in what is now a redundant thread. Again I was just trying to help out the forum by trying to make myself tidy and reduce my clutter. That's all. I'm not trying to "claim ownership of the question" or anything like that. That's why it wasn't a demand but merely an inquiry.
Long winded? Your post seems to be the longest post in the topic.

And this is why we lock topics. Let's keep the discussions about programming, guys. Let's try and keep the useless banter to a minimum, if someone doesn't have something constructive to add to a topic then there's no reason to hit the Reply button.

• Like 1