IE8 doing it's own thing ... arrrgh!

attaboy

I have a XML file: <?xml version="1.0"?><?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="letter2text.xsl"?><letter> <to>Mom</to> <from>Tom</from> <message>Happy Mother's Day</message> </letter> it uses this stylesheet: <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:output method="text"/><xsl:template match="/letter"><xsl:apply-templates select="*"/></xsl:template><xsl:template match="to"><xsl:text>TO: </xsl:text><xsl:apply-templates/> <xsl:text></xsl:text></xsl:template><xsl:template match="from"><xsl:text>FROM: </xsl:text> <xsl:apply-templates/> <xsl:text></xsl:text></xsl:template> <xsl:template match="message"><xsl:text>MESSAGE: </xsl:text> <xsl:apply-templates/> <xsl:text></xsl:text></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet> The output looks like this in all browsers except IE8TO: MomFROM: TomMESSAGE: Happy Mother's DayIE8 sees it as:TO: Mom FROM: Tom MESSAGE: Happy Mother's DayIE doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.Is there any way to indicate line break that even IE will understand?

The problem is IE re-parses the XSLT output as HTML. What other browsers do instead is use the XSLT result directly.This behavior of IE is the cause of a few issues, and this is one of them.The only way to make IE understand is that you use <xsl:output method="html" />, and rewrite the rest of your XSLT accordingly, with <br/>'s and everything.

Thanks for responding. After posting this I read a little further in my book and found what you just mentioned. IE always has to ruin the fun don't they. I wonder if anyone has come up with an IE voodoo doll for web developers/designers. btw is there a way to flag these posts as solved?

Edited by attaboy

I believe you should be able to edit the title of the topic by editing your first post.