Suggestions to my website? (2012, 5 31)

eduard

I want to thank all the members of W3Schools who have helped me to realize my website!I´m not going into web development, because I´m not good at it!I want to promote myself by my website as a web designer or as a translater!So, any suggestion to my website please? Eduard Lidwww.eduardlid.net

Promoting yourself as a web designer is, I believe, even harder than promoting yourself a web developer.A developer only needs to make things "work". This means that clients asses yours skills by the amount and complexity of the work you've done, and nothing more. It's "craft" if you will.A designer needs needs to make things "look right", which is not craft... but art instead. And "art" is subjective. There are certain things which are known to work better than others in certain scenarios, but even those are not absolutes, and if taken to an extreme (or taken for another scenario), they fail. For example, most people like rounded corners, but if you make a site that doesn't have any sharp corners anywhere, you've made a site for kids where adults would feel uncomfortable.Whether you're a "web designer" or "web developer", you still need to know HTML and CSS.You don't need to know PHP and SQL to be a web designer, but in their place, you need to know how to work with a powerful graphics program (not necessarily "Adobe Photoshop"; "Corel Draw" and/or GIMP work too), and some talent (just like with any art form)...

Gimp is a fantastic program, very powerful. Corel Draw is confusing... (Im sure it is easy once you learn it, but for me there is a steep learning curve for it).I agree with everything Boen just said. A designer is going to be hard to promote, you better have some good designs just because of the stiff competition for it. Everyone has a different idea of what a good design is, so know that.

Gimp is a fantastic program, very powerful. Corel Draw is confusing... (Im sure it is easy once you learn it, but for me there is a steep learning curve for it).I agree with everything Boen just said. A designer is going to be hard to promote, you better have some good designs just because of the stiff competition for it. Everyone has a different idea of what a good design is, so know that.
To me Adoble Photoshop/Illustrator are confusing and CorelDraw is the most simple. ;) My advice to Eduard or anyone for that matter is... try to be the best designer/developer YOU can be. Don't worry about the competition or how better someone else is etc. Just focus on bettering yourself at what you want to do.Instead of worrying about 'competition', focus on making your services/products the best you can/have to offer. Once you do that, things will fall in place for you but above all else, have a good mental/overall attitude about it all. :)
  • Like 1

great point Don :)However, I feel you gotta have some idea of the competition so you can tell people why they need to go with you, not John Doe.

great point Don :)However, I feel you gotta have some idea of the competition so you can tell people why they need to go with you, not John Doe.
What I mean't was, yes of course know what's out there, but not to worry about it by fretting about it, being intimidated etc. Apple makes great products because they know what's out there, but once they see what's out there, they ask themselves how can we improve our product(s) to be one of the best out there, and focus there instead of them sitting around saying "man, HP and Dell is making really interesting laptops. Microsoft is everywhere.. Oh my.. what are we going to do? The competition is stiff and since it is, maybe we should just quit or go into some other kind of work or something.. what do you think Bob?" Hopefully you get my point. :) Just my two cents. :happy0046:
  • Like 1

Promoting yourself as a web designer is, I believe, even harder than promoting yourself a web developer. A developer only needs to make things "work". This means that clients asses yours skills by the amount and complexity of the work you've done, and nothing more. It's "craft" if you will. A designer needs needs to make things "look right", which is not craft... but art instead. And "art" is subjective. There are certain things which are known to work better than others in certain scenarios, but even those are not absolutes, and if taken to an extreme (or taken for another scenario), they fail. For example, most people like rounded corners, but if you make a site that doesn't have any sharp corners anywhere, you've made a site for kids where adults would feel uncomfortable. Whether you're a "web designer" or "web developer", you still need to know HTML and CSS. You don't need to know PHP and SQL to be a web designer, but in their place, you need to know how to work with a powerful graphics program (not necessarily "Adobe Photoshop"; "Corel Draw" and/or GIMP work too), and some talent (just like with any art form)...
Thanks! Unfortunately, nothing new! That´s what I need!

The problem (again!) I can´t install anything on this public pc and I don´t have much money! However, I´m very interested in Gimp! Is there e.g a free try-out?

To me Adoble Photoshop/Illustrator are confusing and CorelDraw is the most simple. ;) My advice to Eduard or anyone for that matter is... try to be the best designer/developer YOU can be. Don't worry about the competition or how better someone else is etc. Just focus on bettering yourself at what you want to do. Instead of worrying about 'competition', focus on making your services/products the best you can/have to offer. Once you do that, things will fall in place for you but above all else, have a good mental/overall attitude about it all. :)
That´s the best reply I ever received! My heroe is Jacques Anquetil - if they said to him you can´t. he said: I can!).So, Corel Draw or Gimp?

Good attitude Eduard! :) Well, I would probably go with Gimp since it's free and easy to use from what I understand. But one thing to remember is that Gimp is an image manipulation program. I'm not sure if you can use it to make vector based drawings etc? If looking to make vector-based images etc, CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator is probably the best option.

Good attitude Eduard! :) Well, I would probably go with Gimp since it's free and easy to use from what I understand. But one thing to remember is that Gimp is an image manipulation program. I'm not sure if you can use it to make vector based drawings etc? If looking to make vector-based images etc, CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator is probably the best option.
So, do you suggest in my case the try-out version of Corel Draw?

Sure. Have you ever heard of a program called WebStudio? You might be interested. It helps with making websites on the design side of things.
Thank you very much!

IF its anything like WebPlus serif, it uses positioning to make layouts, tons and tons of HTML code and css coding, similar to FrontPage and the load of #@!* that produced to make a simple page layout.
Ok, thanks! Do you have examples on-line?

Well to ME, when it comes to vector graphics, Corel DRAW is the #1 and when it comes to raster graphics, Adobe photoshop is #1.
So if you want to draw/design stuffs like: Logos, banners, etc, you can go for corelDraw, but if you wish to manipulate/design an existing graphic(s), go for adobePhotoshop. Edited by CodeName

Well to ME, when it comes to vector graphics, Corel DRAW is the #1 and when it comes to raster graphics, Adobe photoshop is #1.
I don´t understand well the difference! Where do I find examples?

Vector graphics are graphics that are saved as shapes. Raster graphics are graphics that are saved as pixels. A free vector editor is Inkscape. GIMP is a free raster editor. Example of raster images are anything you can find in Google images. Vector images are only shown in their real for in SVG files or Flash documents.

Vector graphics are graphics that are saved as shapes. Raster graphics are graphics that are saved as pixels. A free vector editor is Inkscape. GIMP is a free raster editor. Example of raster images are anything you can find in Google images. Vector images are only shown in their real for in SVG files or Flash documents.
Ok, many thamks!

I´m going to write something!Finally, I´m going to leave this hostel in some days! Then, I can leave behind me the problems which bothered me for several months (e. g. theft), Also then I can concentrate me 100% at webdesign (no more excuses!) and as written to me yesterday I want to be very good at it!I hope you´ll help me realise this!