Looking for feedback / suggestions...

ashleypower

Hey. I learned HTML and CSS about...14 years ago. I know HTML pretty well, and basically used CSS to style text. When I learned, table layouts were where it was at. I've recently decided to upgrade and try these CSS layouts. To say I'm having difficulty is an understatement. I've basically just browsed around, looking at sources and examples and tried it out for myself. Here's a link to something I've been working on. I would like some positive feedback or suggestions! Thanks! Site: http://apower.atwebpages.com/gb2/ CSS: http://apower.atwebpages.com/gb2/style.css

• Like 1

<< Topic moved to Critiques >>I can't judge the appearance much, as I'm not much of a designer, but as a layman - it looks nice.On the code, it's good in general. I have several minor comments:1. The logo could be made into an IMG element. Better yet, an IMG in a link to the home page. It has become a sort of convention for users.2. You already have <div id="nav">, so you don't need the class at every "a" element. Remove them, and replace any

a.nav

with

#nav a

3. Remove the two

<style media="all" type="text/css">@import "style.css";</style>

and replace them with a single link, like:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" />

4. Try to turn the links into an actual unordered list (and by that, I mean using "ul" and "li" elements), and style that so that it's horizontal, as currently. More importantly, remove the "|" separators. You can replace them with borders or outlines on the "li"s.

Sorry for putting it in the wrong place! Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Yeah, it's in the very early stages...there's still a lot of stylistic changes to be made, but I was more concerned about the CSS. You say make the logo an image element. I was just wondering about how to position it properly? Could I use the existing CSS there if I were to do that?

AFAIK, you should be able to, yes. But if it's going to be a link, you may find it more convenient to apply the styling on the link, rather then the image.

but I was more concerned about the CSS.
If you let the CSS validator emit warnings, you'll see some interesting tips. Don't try to eliminate all warnings, as some are due to the validator being stricter then what W3C intended (I'm referring to the "background:transparent;" warning in particular).The first two talk about using a generic font family as the last alternative, i.e. instead of just "font-family : arial;", make that "font-family : arial, sans-serif;".A lot of the other warnings can be eliminated by simply moving all common parts of a:link, a:active, a:hover, and a:visited into just "a", i.e. instead of
#nav a:link {	text-decoration:none;	font-weight:bold;	color:#ffffff;	font-size:16px;}#nav a:active {	text-decoration:none;	font-weight:bold;	color:#ffffff;	font-size:16px;}#nav a:visited {	text-decoration:none;	font-weight:bold;	color:#ffffff;	font-size:16px;}#nav a:hover {	text-decoration:underline;	font-weight:bold;	color:#ffffff;	font-size:16px;}

make that

#nav a {	text-decoration:none;	font-weight:bold;	color:#ffffff;	font-size:16px;}#nav a:hover {	text-decoration:underline;}