First Template Coded

globalindex

Hi guys i started learning html and css few weeks ago and to do practice i took this templatehttp://www.graphicsf...-website-designand converted it into xhtml/css so i want you to check it out and see how it lookshttp://www.globalindex.byethost32.comi have some questions and i hope you guys will help me1.What do u think about the template i have coded:2.Should i learn javascript/php now or do some more practice on html/css3.Which language should i learn next..javascript or phpand4.Should i slice or use CSS3 for gradients and some other stuff that can be done through CSS3. I will be waiting for your replies.

Edited by globalindex

1) Looks nice, I am not a fan of the top portion of the background. Seems to rough to me when the design is supposed to be "Sleek". I am not a fan of the grey testimonial text though. (Plus not a fan of the nav bar)2)Depends on a few factors... Do you feel proficent in HTML/CSS? If so move on, then I'd say PHP because you are using a portfolio set up. And unless you want to edit your site's code everytime you want to add things I highly recommend PHP over Javascript. PHP allows database (you have to learn MySQL along with it) usage which leads to a lot of great features.3)Same as 24) I have no idea what it is asking, but I say use CSS3 whenever you can. Just be wary that older browsers dont like CSS3 so items might not appear like you want em.

Edited by Krewe

1) Looks nice, I am not a fan of the top portion of the background. Seems to rough to me when the design is supposed to be "Sleek". I am not a fan of the grey testimonial text though. (Plus not a fan of the nav bar)2)Depends on a few factors... Do you feel proficent in HTML/CSS? If so move on, then I'd say PHP because you are using a portfolio set up. And unless you want to edit your site's code everytime you want to add things I highly recommend PHP over Javascript. PHP allows database (you have to learn MySQL along with it) usage which leads to a lot of great features.3)Same as 24) I have no idea what it is asking, but I say use CSS3 whenever you can. Just be wary that older browsers dont like CSS3 so items might not appear like you want em.
thanks for reply

• 1 month later...

Impressed - considering you have just started HTML. Keep on going and your be pro standard.JS or PHP - depends what you want to do. both are handy.Would like to see your designs too. Maybe show how you can extend the template?Do you design too? or do you prefer to code from a designer?

Re-reading this topic and not looking at the first link close enough I have some more advice for you...Code and Design your own template, you'll learn more. Your current design it looks like you hardly edited it at all, except for the text.And if that is all you know, you'll need to know a lot more to create better websites before you even think about php or javascript.