Website in all browsers the same?

eduard

I would at the very least be using a strict doctype. (DTD) and also making sure that it validates. after that, please be more elaborate on the problems you are seeing, per each browser versus what you expect to be seeing. Without a reference, we have no idea what you think is right and thus which ones are wrong.

Margins in particular are different in all browsers especially for the paragraph element, that is why you use * {margin: 0; padding: 0;} to reset all of these to 0 in all browsers. Now, you have used this, BUT! have not redefined the margins for the elements that require these, such as p, and h1 to h6, because of this, if you have page of text, there will be no break/gap between paragraphs or the heading tags, just block of continous text with the only break occuring were a header tag is used. font-size, font-family also, if not defined, a browser will use its own, (note verdana i have found, does produce different size display, remove and use Arial as the main font). A redefining of p, header tags would look similar to below

p {margin:1em 25px;}h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6{margin:0.9em 7px;}h1 {font-size:2em;}h2 {font-size:1.84em;}h3 {font-size:1.68em;}h4{font-size:1.52em;}h5 {font-size:1.36em;}h6 {font-size:1.20em;}

Are you sure you really want your website to actually look like that? Your site says you are a web designer....but sorry mate, to be brutally honest, you aren't. I would take some time to learn the craft because I find much of the underlying mark-up confusing. But at least you have used css floats for layout. And design your ideas starting on paper (or Photoshop, if you have the lucre) and building from there...all great websites start that way...without exception. RegardsSteve

Are you sure you really want your website to actually look like that? Your site says you are a web designer....but sorry mate, to be brutally honest, you aren't. I would take some time to learn the craft because I find much of the underlying mark-up confusing. But at least you have used css floats for layout. And design your ideas starting on paper (or Photoshop, if you have the lucre) and building from there...all great websites start that way...without exception. RegardsSteve
You are too early! My website isn't finished yet!

You know what the problem with W3Schools moderators (not all!) is: they only are interested what they see on their screens! I wrote several times that my circumstances weren't good and that this is the first time in 4 years time - since I in south-america that I can concentrate myself quite good! But do they care? Because that has nothing to do with computers! Thank god I'm not a computer; I'm a human being! But human beings aren't welcome here! Chao LOCKED

Edited by eduardlid

Haha, yeah! give him chance, its taken him over a year to get this far.
HiyaI had noticed that when I did a quick run through of what was in the forum before I posted one of my sites up for scrutiny.Steve EduardI would aim to finish your site before posting it here.I would also ask questions in other threads aimed at that aspect of your site that you need some help with. Posting that effort of yours here justisn't going to get you very far I'm afraid. I know we all have to start somewhere...but for you mate this thread isn't the right place.Steve

UNLOCKYeah some moderators, are like machines, like a DVD player, where you keep playing the same tune over and over again, to learn the lyrics of the same tune, but can't quit grasp what they are singing, and then after endless pressing of the replay button, the player finally wears out and breaks, so you try a different website...i mean another make of DVD player, and end up with the same problem, another broken down, worn out DVD player trying grasp the lyrics of one single simple song.

UNLOCKYeah some moderators, are like machines, like a DVD player, where you keep playing the same tune over and over again, to learn the lyrics of the same tune, but can't quit grasp what they are singing, and then after endless pressing of the replay button, the player finally wears out and breaks, so you try a different website...i mean another make of DVD player, and end up with the same problem, another broken down, worn out DVD player trying grasp the lyrics of one single simple song.
Unfortunately, it's not a good dvd (music)!

It's nothing different then the info we've already given you...We've never said they have to be exactly the same, heck I even told you a while back that you should never stress about your website looking different in different browsers.

Edited by Krewe

He's right about people needing to offer the same experience, not necessarily the same look. HTML is not supposed to look the same everywhere, that was not one of the goals of HTML. If you want something to look identical no matter where you display it, that's what PDF is for. HTML is supposed to be malleable, different user agents can display things different ways but the goal of the designer is to make sure it works the same everywhere. Functionality is the important part, not pixel precision.

He's right about people needing to offer the same experience, not necessarily the same look. HTML is not supposed to look the same everywhere, that was not one of the goals of HTML. If you want something to look identical no matter where you display it, that's what PDF is for. HTML is supposed to be malleable, different user agents can display things different ways but the goal of the designer is to make sure it works the same everywhere. Functionality is the important part, not pixel precision.
Very clear!

• 1 month later...