php callback function help

skaterdav85

In the code sample below, how do I access the value of $this inside the callback function in the hello() method? I also attached the class to this post if you want to execute it. I am getting the error: Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context I want $this to point to the current instance.

class Person {public function hello() {  $list = array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5);  $this->iterate($list, function($num) {   echo $this->multiply_by_100($num) . 'hello <br>';  });}public function iterate($list, $callback) {  foreach ($list as $num) {   call_user_func($callback, $num);  }}public function multiply_by_100($num) {  return $num * 100;}} $d = new Person();$d->hello();

php_closure.php

Edited by big dave

You can use the "use" statement, but I think this only became allowed in PHP 5.4, so you might not want to get used to it if you're making apps for servers not under your control.Still... if you have that:

public function hello() {  $list = array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5);  $this->iterate($list, function($num) use ($this) {   echo $this->multiply_by_100($num) . 'hello <br>';  });}

I think you meant this:http://php.net/manual/en/functions.anonymous.phpAnd although there's no example, you can see the changelog at the bottom says 5.4 allows $this to be used in anonymous functions.

It looks like the use statement was added in PHP 5.3, so if you want to target that then you can just use a different name for $this.

$obj = $this;$this->iterate($list, function($num) use ($obj) {  echo $obj->multiply_by_100($num) . 'hello <br>';

super interesting, thanks everyone for helping with this! EDIT: Just noticed, even though I can pass in $this using the 'use' statement, I can no longer call protected and private members. I have to make them public. I'm guessing it is because the context of the callback function is no longer in the class.

Edited by big dave

Just noticed, even though I can pass in $this using the 'use' statement, I can no longer call protected and private members. I have to make them public. I'm guessing it is because the context of the callback function is no longer in the class.
you can change the scope only inside the callback function using http://php.net/manual/en/reflectionproperty.setaccessible.php reflection.

<?phpclass baf{    private $foo='bar';        }$obj=new baf();$obj->get();$prop=new ReflectionProperty('baf','foo');$prop->setAccessible(true);echo $prop->getValue($obj); //prints out private property. same way workswith protected ptoperty?>

yes, you can use it when property is not accessible on the fly. setAccessible() is not static method of properties it is method of ReflectionProperty. we use ReflectionProperty on class property to set or get access to them.