Problem with select distinct

swine

Hey there, I have a SQL-statement in a stored procedure returning an employees name and his projects. The names are displayed in a list, and if an employee has n projects, his name is displayed n-times. I want the names to displayed only once, but still n projects. So if I click later on a name, his projects are highlighted or alternatively the others are greyed out. Is there a possibility to get this with only one SQL-statement? I've tried with "select distinct ..." but this doesn't cause any change Thanks for helping

I would use php to answer that question. I don't think there's a sql solution to it.

Thanks for the quick answer. I just tried a second SQL which is mostly the same, but only returns the names and distinct works fine.Unfortunately I don't have the skills to say if a php or a second sql is the better solution.

It's all about the resource that sql returns. You can't target something that's not in the sql resource that's returned. So, just do a mysql_fetch_array (you'll have to know a little php), then a var_dump(), then viola, you'll see what was actually produced.

Edited by niche