Root Admin Files - Updating Across 4 or More Servers

MrFish

At my company we maintain around 400 sites. These sites are built with a custom CMS. Each site has it's own directory in /var/www/vhosts and it's own admin directory and admin files. This makes updating impractical. Even if we push an update out to all of these sites the admin frequently changes and this would probably break the majority of the sites. I'm trying to come up with a solution to this be redirecting all requests to the admin directory to /var/www/base_admin which hosts all of admin files. This would making updating easy and force all future sites to be compatible with all other new site (we won't go back and fix any, that would require too much). This is working well on one server but we have 4. We would need to setup this root admin system on all of our servers and any update would have to be pushed out to it. Is there any way to have all the servers pointing to one location on one server that would still be quick and effective? Every page request requires at least one or more files from the admin (classes and such). If not what would be the best way of updating these automatically? I'm a Unix newbie but I'm familiar with things like rsync. Would this be the best method?

you could create an ANT script in your admin project with a release/deployment target that could be responsible for pushing the files to all four of your servers.

You should also look into Phing, that's what we use to install and update our applications. Phing needs to be installed on each server and you SSH into the server and tell it to create a new installation or update an existing one. We have ours setup where we can tell it which branch, tag, or trunk to install or update from and it will connect to the repository, download the files, and do the installation or update according to the scripts we wrote for it.

you could create an ANT script in your admin project with a release/deployment target that could be responsible for pushing the files to all four of your servers.
You should also look into Phing, that's what we use to install and update our applications. Phing needs to be installed on each server and you SSH into the server and tell it to create a new installation or update an existing one. We have ours setup where we can tell it which branch, tag, or trunk to install or update from and it will connect to the repository, download the files, and do the installation or update according to the scripts we wrote for it.
I haven't used either of these. I will look into them both.Thanks