What is the Best Book For a Beginner to Start JavaScript With?

RyanSchurton

What is the best book for starters in JavaScript? when i look on amazon it says some good ones where: -JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual -Modern JavaScript: Develop and Design -Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to HTML. CSS. JavaScript, and Web Graphics -Secrets of the JavaScript NinjaWhat are some recommendation from your hands on experience?

Save your money! Programmers love sharing their knowledge, maybe not their scripts, but they will share useful knowledge about the language. Type in something like JavaScript tutorials into Google. Of course, w3schools will top the list, but there are others as well.

The best book i found for in depth javascript is Proffesional javascript for web developer by wrox publication. It is not cookbook style book where it shows many real world examples but it is good for core language and it covers every topic from the basic. Along with this mozilla and opera developer network has large and good resource about JS.

Edited by birbal
  • Like 1

Check O'Reilly, they are a well-respected technical publisher: http://oreilly.com/j...ript/index.html
This. In my experience, O'Reilly are the best publishers. I've written a book and had it published through them, and they certainly would not have let any bad content through. (note: my book is one of the first ones on that page :D )
The best book i found for in depth javascript is Proffesional javascript for web developer by wrox publication. It is not cookbook style book where it shows many real world examples but it is good for core language and it covers every topic from the basic. Along with this mozilla and opera developer network has large and good resource about JS.
It specifically says "This book is not aimed at beginners who lack a basic computer science background or those looking to add some simple user interactions to web sites. These readers should instead refer to Wrox’s Beginning JavaScript, 3rd Edition (Wiley, 2007)." You should not be recommending a non-beginners book to a beginner. Zakas is awesome, but not yet!

yes it may be non-beginer book but is not not either too advanced in the term of explanation of author. It did explained everything in depth and simpler way. I did not read the 'Beginer Javascript' book so i can hardly comment on that. If author is recommending this then probably it would be best suitable one for absolute beginer.. Though to quote the book

This book is aimed at three groups of readers:Experienced developers familiar with object-oriented programming who are looking tolearn JavaScript as it relates to traditional OO languages such as Java and C++.Web application developers attempting to enhance the usability of their web sites and webapplications.Novice JavaScript developers aiming to better understand the language.In addition, familiarity with the following related technologies is a strong indicator that this book isfor you:JavaPHPASP.NETHTMLCSSXMLThis book is not aimed at beginners lacking a basic computer science background or those lookingto add some simple user interactions to web sites. These readers should instead refer to Wrox’sBeginning JavaScript, 4th Edition (Wiley, 2009).
Edited by birbal