w3schoon

Input Select Required Attribute

Nice be with you everyone! I found out that input required attribute requires "that an input field must be filled out before submitting the form." like this...

<form action="demo_form.asp">Username: <input type="text" name="usrname" required><input type="submit"></form>

My question is: Is it possible also to use input required attribute in select? like this...

<select name="gender" required><option value="" selected="selected">Choose...</option><option value="male">Male</option><option value="female">Female</option></select>

I want to validate gender field if it has already value (male or female)otherwise will not submit like what input required attribute can do Thank you.

You would want to search for how to get select elements selectedIndex property

you would just check the current selected value

<select name="gender" id="gender"><option value="" selected="selected">Choose...</option><option value="male">Male</option><option value="female">Female</option></select>

when the submit form is submitted using onsubmit="return validate();"[/code]function validate(){var valid = true;var gender = document.getElementById('gender');if(gender.selectedIndex ==0) //the very first option to see if it is still set as being currently selected{valid = false;}return valid;}