Shared hosting vs Dedicated hosting

Don E

I was wondering if anyone can provide some information on shared hosting and dedicated hosting. I know what they are but I wanted to know basically if there is an actual performance difference between the two? I am sure there is but how much exactly? My current website is on shared hosting and I am considering maybe in the not so distant future to move over to dedicated hosting because since my website allows users to do image manipulations etc, especially soon on the edit page I'm currently putting together which will have a lot of ajax calls, it will require a lot of system resources and if many users at once are using the site, it can perhaps slow things down a bit and discourage the user resulting in them going elsewhere. I'm not entirely sure if that can/will be the case but better to know if anything. Thank you! Edit: Yes I did :google_lt: it but I like to know the opinions of my fellow w3schoolers!

Edited by Don E

I know what they are but I wanted to know basically if there is an actual performance difference between the two?
It depends. difference in Server specification like processor,RAM and the number concurrent request is being processed in shared server by multiple site. I would just leave it to hosting provider and wait for a email from to upgrade to dedicated host. If your site is consuming much of resources not only you other site on the same server will be affected and hosting providers keep on hard watch on that for same reason. If your (pre hosted)app need more resource they will let you know. It is true if your concern is regarding resource consuming of your existing apps. if you need features like (APC,memcache, or exec() to name a few) you will probably need dedicated server from the begining. Regarding bandwidth some host charge for extra bandwidth some ask for upgrade to dedicated host.

Just wanted to give a quick update incase anyone ever has the same question... if you can't afford true dedicated hosting, meaning where you site is the only site on the server, then ask your hosting provider if they have a step higher than the hosting you're currently on. For example, Pro hosting. I upgraded to pro hosting and found out that before on the regular hosting, I was sharing a server with over 1000 other websites! Now since I switched over to pro, I'm on a server with 18 sites(myself included). I noticed noticeable results/performance, was really worth it.