Two questions about xml

bepsmi

I have the following questions I can't answer by myself: What is the version of XML one should use? 1.0 or 1.1? Wierdly, 1.0 seems to be more updated and more used than 1.1... how is this possible? Is the prolog <?xml version="1.0"> necessary in an XML document? If not, is there a default version (1.0 or whatever) that the processor assumes when the prolog is not present?

There's no such thing as XML 1.1. There's XHTML 1.1 which isn't really used much anymore. The XML declration is required in an XML document. It can also include the character set that the document uses. It need both an opening <? and closing ?> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

The default is the highest supported by the XML parser.The main difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is in what's allowed as tag names - XML 1.0 only allowes a certain (very large!!!) range of printable characters, while XML 1.1 only forbids a certain (very small) range of characters that are either already special (e.g. "<" and ">") or are reserved for potential future expansions (e.g. "{" and "}").There's almost no other difference, which is why you don't see many users use it, and in turn, fewer parsers for it.

• 7 months later...