XSL 2.0: count total number of unique values

Sarah.Crocker.10

Here is my xml: <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?><wd:Report_Data xmlns:wd="urn:com.workday.report/CR-INT034-ADP-Garnishment_Disbursements_File-Outbound2"> <wd:Report_Entry> <wd:field>1111</wd:field> </wd:Report_Entry> <wd:Report_Entry> <wd:field>2222</wd:field> </wd:Report_Entry> <wd:Report_Entry> <wd:field>3333</wd:field> </wd:Report_Entry> <wd:Report_Entry> <wd:field>2222</wd:field> </wd:Report_Entry> <wd:Report_Entry> <wd:field>3333</wd:field> </wd:Report_Entry> <wd:Report_Entry> <wd:field>1111</wd:field> </wd:Report_Entry></wd:Report_Data> Here is the xslt I am using: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><xsl:stylesheet xmlns:wd="urn:com.workday.report/CR-INT034-ADP-Garnishment_Disbursements_File-Outbound2" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"version="2.0"><xsl:strip-space elements="*"/><xsl:output indent="no" method="text" /> <xsl:key name="entry" match="wd:Report_Entry" use="wd:field" /> <xsl:template match="wd:Report_Data"> <xsl:value-of select="count(wd:Report_Entry | wd:field[ generate-id() = generate-id(key('entry', wd:field))])"/> </xsl:template> </xsl:stylesheet> I am trying to count the unique values. So in the example above, the answer should be 3 and I am getting 6. I can get this to work in 1.0 with the following code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><xsl:stylesheet xmlns:wd="urn:com.workday.report/CR-INT034-ADP-Garnishment_Disbursements_File-Outbound2" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"version="1.0"><xsl:strip-space elements="*"/><xsl:output indent="no" method="text" /> <xsl:key name="entry" match="wd:Report_Entry" use="wd:field" /> <xsl:template match="wd:Report_Data"> <xsl:value-of select="count(wd:Report_Entry [ generate-id() = generate-id(key('entry', wd:field))])"/> </xsl:template> </xsl:stylesheet> But I can't use 1.0 I have to use 2.0. Is there any way to get this to work in 2.0 or am I just out of luck? Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thanks,Sarah

If you want to use XSLT 2.0 then the first step translating an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet to XSLT 2.0 is simply changing version="2.0"on the xsl: stylesheet element and then to use an XSLT 2.0 processor. I see no reason why your code moved to version="2.0"

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:wd="urn:com.workday.report/CR-INT034-ADP-Garnishment_Disbursements_File-Outbound2" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"version="2.0"><xsl:strip-space elements="*"/><xsl:output indent="no" method="text" /><xsl:key name="entry" match="wd:Report_Entry" use="wd:field" /><xsl:template match="wd:Report_Data"><xsl:value-of select="count(wd:Report_Entry [ generate-id() = generate-id(key('entry', wd:field))])"/>    </xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

would cause any problem or any wrong result with an XSLT 2.0 processor. Even if you would not change the version but simply use your XSLT 2.0 processor the result would be the same. But of course using the new XPath and XSLT 2.0 features like the "distinct-values" function usually results in more compact, readable and maintainable code so your later approach is certainly preferable over the key-based XSLT 1.0 approach. There are some issues however where a change of the version attribute to 2.0 and the switch to an XSLT 2.0 processor could give different results (mainly the semantics of xsl: value-of select="some node set" changes to output all nodes in the selected node set while XSLT 1.0 only outputs the first select node in the node set).