Sign in to follow this  
Mudsaf

jQuery variable passing from <script> to another <script>

Hello, i'm wondering is it possible to pass variable inside <script></script> to another <script></script> field.

Example i have

<script>var message = "Hello";</script><script>alert(message);</script>

I know i could add them together in this script i write, but my actual codes is separating the scripts.

All scripts by default run in the same scope, the window scope, so functions and variables that are defined in that scope are available for any code running in that scope.

Well seems like my variable wont pass.

Uncaught ReferenceError: json_list is not defined

<script>$(function() {var json_list;$.getJSON('<myfile.js>', function(data) {json_list = data;});});</script>/* Later */<script>$(function() {	console.log(json_list);});</script>
Edited by Mudsaf

You defined that variable as local inside another function, that's not the window scope. If you want to use it in the function and make sure you're using the global version, use window.json_list.

or just var json_list, outside of any function() {} blocks, similar to this example from your other thread

http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=48172#entry266827

Edited by thescientist

<script>$(function() {var json_list;$.getJSON('../script/json/selectbox.js', function(data) {window.json_list = data;console.log(window.json_list); //Returns undefinedconsole.log(data); //Returns JSON array});});</script>

You're still defining that variable locally, but I don't get the same results. If you define and run this function:

function test_func() { window.test_var = 'test'; }

Then outside that function, in the window scope, both test_var and window.test_var are set to "test".

Ajax solved everything xD

var json_list;$.ajax({    url: "<myfile.js>",    dataType: 'json',    async: false,    success: function(data) {        json_list = data;    }});

Ajax solved everything xD

no it didn't, you made a global variable like we were saying.

or just var json_list, outside of any function() {} blocks, similar to this example from your other thread

http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=48172#entry266827

The lesson to learn here is how variable scope works in javascript. It's something any decent javascript developer should make it a point to learn.

http://msdn.microsof...a(v=vs.94).aspx

Edited by thescientist