Trouble deleting elements after .fadeOut()

dzhax

I have the following code

drops[i].parentNode.removeChild(drops[i]);

it is used to remove the element once it reaches a specific top value. I wanted to have that element .fadeOut(350) before removing the element. so i tried:

$(drops[i]).fadeOut(350).parentNode.removeChild(drops[i]);

But i'm now getting the following error in my console:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'removeChild' of undefined

if more code is needed feel free to ask

So you're trying to remove faded out element? I'm not quite sure is below the answer for you question.

$(drops[i]).fadeOut(350, function() {drops[i].parentNode.removeChild(drops[i]);});
Edited by Mudsaf

So you're trying to remove faded out element? I'm not quite sure is below the answer for you question.

$(drops[i]).fadeOut(350, function() {drops[i].parentNode.removeChild(drops[i]);});

Thank you for the prompt response. For some reason that is not deleting the divs though.

just having the

drops.parentNode.removeChild(drops);

works fine but

$(drops).fadeOut(350, function() {drops.parentNode.removeChild(drops);});

does not delete them.

It does fade them out though. Really weird

what is your relevant markup/css?

you were given an error message

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'removeChild' of undefined

you should investigate it. log drops to the console, and log drops.parentNode. is this a positioned element? maybe it has no parentNode?

It sounds like that code is in a loop, so that when the inner function runs after the animation then i is no longer set to what it was when you set the function up. I think you can use this inside the callback to refer to the element.

tried using this and that didn't work either.

Basically the code that I have is when an object is clicked it creates a div with an image that starts falling from the top of the screen down to a certain point. When it reaches that point it deletes itself.

I am just trying to modify it to fadeOut the div before deleting to give it a more appealing effect.

Here is all the code that is relevant to making this happen and the code I have been focusing on is Line:12

BaconClicker = {};BaconClicker.Start=function(){     BaconClicker.setInterval = setInterval(function() {          var drops = document.getElementsByClassName('smallBacon'), newY;          if (drops.length == 0) {               clearInterval(interval);               return;          }          for (var i = 0; i < drops.length; i++) {               newY = drops[i].offsetTop+3;               if (newY > drops[i].parentNode.offsetHeight) {                    $(drops[i]).fadeOut(350, function() {                         this.parentNode.removeChild(drops[i]);                    });              } else {                   drops[i].style.top = newY + 'px';              }          }     }, 30);     BaconClicker.click=function(){          //Increment bacon strips and other stuff          BaconClicker.dropBacon();     }     BaconClicker.dropBacon=function(){          var x = randomFromInterval(10, 200),          y = -75;          n = 0;          strop(x, y, n, 'leftWindow');     }} function strop(cleft, ctop, d, dropWindow) {     var drop = document.createElement('div');     drop.className = 'smallBacon';     drop.style.left = cleft + 'px';     drop.style.top = ctop + 'px';     drop.id = d;     document.getElementById(dropWindow).appendChild(drop);} function randomFromInterval(from, to) {     return Math.floor(Math.random() * (to - from + 1) + from);}
Edited by dzhax