Sign in to follow this  
crr

schema help

Hi,

For the following XML block i was able to write the xsd code correctly:

-----------

<job><year>1990-1995</year><company>A1 University</company><job_title>Professor</job_title></job><job><year>1995-2010</year><company>A2 University</company><job_title>Head of Department</job_title></job><job><year>2011-Present</year><company>A3 University</company><job_title>Research</job_title></job>

------------

as:

<xsd:complexType name="jobtype"> <xsd:sequence> <xsd:element name="year" type="xsd:string"/> <xsd:element name="company" type="xsd:string"/> <xsd:element name="job_title" type="xsd:string"/> </xsd:sequence></xsd:complexType>

----------------

However if I want to enclose the XML block inside another tag (jobs) I am lost, can someone please help:

<jobs>

<job><year>1990-1995</year><company>A1 University</company><job_title>Professor</job_title></job><job><year>1995-2010</year><company>A2 University</company><job_title>Head of Department</job_title></job><job><year>2011-Present</year><company>A3 University</company><job_title>Research</job_title></job>

</jobs>

Thanks very much for any assistance.

I don't work with XML much, but wouldn't you just wrap the entire schema inside the definition for a jobs element?

This is how I got it to work :

<xsd:element name="jobs"> <xsd:complexType> <xsd:sequence> <xsd:element name="job" maxOccurs="unbounded"> <xsd:complexType> <xsd:sequence> <xsd:element name="year" type="xsd:string"/> <xsd:element name="company" type="xsd:string"/> <xsd:element name="job_title" type="xsd:string"/> </xsd:sequence> </xsd:complexType> </xsd:element> </xsd:sequence> </xsd:complexType></xsd:element>

Thanks

What did was fine; as you have proven, it works.

However, if the "jobs" element was one in a sequence, it would become obscured by the in-line element type definition. Since you already had a "jobtype" defined, you could have done the following:

<xsd:element name="jobs">    <xsd:complexType>        <xsd:sequence>            <xsd:element name="job" type="jobtype" maxOccurs="unbounded">        </xsd:sequence>    </xsd:complexType></xsd:element>

As you can see this is easier to read which in your case is not important, but in a larger sequence it is much cleaner to define the types of the elements in the sequence and then just name the elements with their occurrence restrictions.

I hope that this helps you and others with this type of problem in the future.

What did was fine; as you have proven, it works.However, if the "jobs" element was one in a sequence, it would become obscured by the in-line element type definition. Since you already had a "jobtype" defined, you could have done the following:

<xsd:element name="jobs">    <xsd:complexType>        <xsd:sequence>            <xsd:element name="job" type="jobtype" maxOccurs="unbounded">        </xsd:sequence>    </xsd:complexType></xsd:element>
As you can see this is easier to read which in your case is not important, but in a larger sequence it is much cleaner to define the types of the elements in the sequence and then just name the elements with their occurrence restrictions. I hope that this helps you and others with this type of problem in the future.
Could you reword this?