IE-only code

turtle

I was hoping to use your XML validator here, but when I clicked the button, nothing happened. Looking in the script, I found this:

var xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")

Does it not seem strange that a site whose main subject is HTML standards uses IE-only code? :)Also, having to register just to post this == annoying.

I can't reply on the first issue you point out, but I will comment on the second. Respectible forums will always require you to create and account to post - and there is a laundry list of reasons why. But that is not so much the point. What is the point is this is not a "discussion or suggestion" it is a report of an issue with the site. You should follow the instructions posted here:http://www.w3schools.com/about/about_helpers.asp

i agree with turtle, to support only IE is realy strange.if M$ is unable, to support official webstandards, M$-products should be unsupported, not the standardscompliant.for the xpath-tutorial:a lot more examples will be nice. how do i get the attribute-values of a node returned?how do i get the xpath of a node returned?how to deal with uri?how do i compare a given uri with saved xpaths, containing "*" for some parts of the uri (session-id, etc.)?...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't find registering annoying, but if possible one could just reduce the number of fields to fill?

It's not possible, unfortunatley. But you only have to fill in the main forms. Anyhting with a '*' next to it needs to be filled out. You didn't fill out all the extra stuff, i hope?~Chocolate570

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Seems this thread got very off... topic....As far as suggestions go... I think it would be nice if all the non-standard examples/tutorials were removed...By including such tutorials w3schools.com is simply furthering the Microsoft cause... not the W3C standards. People who nothing about the web come here... and learn how to write code that only works with IE. I wish they couldn't find any code like that on a site such as this.There are certain issues were IE does things one way and other browsers another, in that case, those cross-browser issues should be explained - but not things that ONLY work in IE and are not a part of any standard in any way!It is interesting to see people on these forums having problems gettings something to work, until they realize that they can only use IE for many of the examles/tutorials!!!!!