How to interpret cutom field

paulonline2501

hi, I've got a variable being passed to me from a third party website. in the following format "45-1," where 45 would be the item id and 1 would be the quantity. the variable could hold a few key pairs. eg: "45-1,46-3,5-3,"the first number is always the item id and the 2nd number is always the quantity. each pair separated by a comma. there is always a trailing comma. I need to deconstruct these pairs and deduct the quantity from the correct item in the products table in my database. My question is, what is the best way to deconstruct these pairs?im guessing I should put these in to an array.not totally sure how to do this. any help or ideas would be great. the variable is initially set like this:

$custom = $_POST['custom'];

...thanks justsomeguy. yeah, I found something on exploding and am trying it now. I've got the first explode working, and even managed to trim the trailing comma to stop it from being put in the array.

Edited by as_bold_as_love

<p><?php$myString = "45-2,34-2,35-1,";echo($myString);?></p><?php$myString = trim($myString, ",");$myArray = explode(",", $myString);echo("<p>Exploded string in array:</p><ul>");foreach($myArray as $thisValue){   echo("<li>".$thisValue."</li>");}echo("</ul>");?>

I got the first explode working but struggling with the 2nd explode.

....actually, I think ive got it working but i'm sure there is a way to write it in a more elegant way.here's what I wrote:

<?php	$myString = trim($myString, ",");	$myArray = explode(",", $myString);	echo("<p>Exploded string in array:</p><ul>");	foreach($myArray as $thisValue)	{		$i=0;		$thisPartsValueID="";		$thisPartsValueQuantity="";		$myArrayParts = explode("-", $thisValue);		foreach($myArrayParts as $thisPartsValue)		{			if($i==0){echo("<li>id=".$thisPartsValue."</li>");$thisPartsValueID=$thisPartsValue;$i++;}			else{echo("<li>quantity=".$thisPartsValue."</li>");$thisPartsValueQuantity=$thisPartsValue;}		}		echo("insert into tableName (quantity) values (currentQuantity - $thisPartsValueQuantity) where id = $thisPartsValueID");	}	echo("</ul>");?>

Either of these would work:

list($id, $quantity) = explode("-", $thisValue);echo 'id = ' . $id . '<br>quantity = ' . $quantity;
$myArrayParts = explode("-", $thisValue);$id = $myArrayParts[0];$quantity = $myArrayParts[1];

The only thing I'll use foreach for is to loop through an associative array really. If you know how many items are in the array might as well just assign them directly.

• Like 1