FateAce

Advice for design

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask (forgive me if it nots), but a recent design issue with my website has made me think about the overall design of the site, and i thought I would ask you guys which you think is best. I'll get straight to the point:

Is it better to have the webpage adjust it's size based on the size of the browser, or just an absolute size that never changes?

In general, adjusting to the user is best, but not required. Please post your site's link.

Edited by niche

I'm actually going through a complete redesign of my website, so there isn't a version I can send you. I can give you a screenshot of the beta version.

A5rwlPz.png

This is my beta website, viewed at 1600px in width. It's still going through changes, but the layout is pretty much the way I want it. It's currently set up to use percentages in the width property.

Are you using float?

Float is the standard for positioning and will satisfy most of your concerns in your OP, but not all.

One of the more recent design approaches is the "responsive" design where the page reconfigures itself for narrow devices such as smart phones. The basic tool for responsive design is the @media block. See...

@media screen and (min-device-width: 481px) {  .column {    float: left;  }}@media screen and (max-device-width: 480px) {  .column {    float: none;  }}

http://alistapart.com/article/responsive-web-design