how to send email with attachment

Ashish Sood

Hi Everyone,

I am working on the email part of my project , i don't have any issue regarding sending a text email but i added the feature of attachment now it like the send emails with attachment i read lots of online tutorial for email attachment but none of them help me out. :Sad:

my_code.php

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" /><title>email</title></head><body><form action="" method="post"><input type="text" name="name" /><br/><br/><input name="File1" type="file" /><p><input name="submit" type="submit" value="submit" /></p></form></body></html>

email_inc.php

if(isset($_POST['submit'])) {$header = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "rn";						$header .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "rn";									$header .= "From: {$from}rn"; 						$header .= "Reply-To: {$to}rn"; 						$header .= "Return-path: " . $to; 		   						mail( $to,  $subject, $message, $header, "-f{$from}"); }

Above script is for simple email without attachment, Please help me out what to do for attachment emails.

Thanks In Advance

@Don, before adding changes to my original script which already runs in production i want to test it by my own if everything is ok then i will move my modification into production environment .

So above i had posted my email script which is replica of production one, except the message,subject variable.

I just want to know what i need to add so that i can send email with attachment.

Thanks for the reply

@Don this is what i did so far with my script , after that its not sending any mail with attachment.

//Get the uploaded file information				$name_of_uploaded_file =  basename($_FILES['uploaded_file']['name']);					//get the file extension of the file				$type_of_uploaded_file = substr($name_of_uploaded_file, 				strrpos($name_of_uploaded_file, '.') + 1);							    $size_of_uploaded_file = $_FILES["uploaded_file"]["size"]/1024;				$allowed_ext = false;				for($i=0; $i<sizeof($allowed_extensions); $i++) 				{ 					if(strcasecmp($allowed_extensions[$i],$type_of_uploaded_file) == 0)					{						$allowed_ext = true;							}				}					if(!$allowed_ext)				{					$errors .= "n The uploaded file is not supported file type. ".					" Only the following file types are supported: ".implode(',',$allowed_extensions);				}				//send the email 				if(empty($errors))				{					//copy the temp. uploaded file to uploads folder					$path_of_uploaded_file = $upload_folder . $name_of_uploaded_file;					$tmp_path = $_FILES["uploaded_file"]["tmp_name"];					if(is_uploaded_file($tmp_path))					{						if(!copy($tmp_path,$path_of_uploaded_file))						{							$errors .= 'n error while copying the uploaded file';						}					}									$from="REPORT@abc.com";				$to="xyz@abc.com";				$subject="Midrange|Testing of $date";										$header .= "From: {$from}rn"; 				$header .= "Reply-To: {$to}rn"; 				$header .= "Return-path: " . $to;								$filename = $name_of_uploaded_file;				$message ="Please find the link of ";								$file_size = $size_of_uploaded_file;				$content = chunk_split(base64_encode(file_get_contents('http://x.x.x.x/dummy/upload/'.$name_of_uploaded_file))); 				$uid = md5(uniqid(time()));				$from = str_replace(array("r", "n"), '', $from); // to prevent email injection	  	  	  $header = "From: ".$from."rn"		  ."MIME-Version: 1.0rn"		  ."Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="".$uid.""rnrn"		  ."This is a multi-part message in MIME format.rn" 		  ."--".$uid."rn"		  ."Content-type:text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1rn"		  ."Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bitrnrn"		  .$message."rnrn"		  ."--".$uid."rn"		  ."Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="".$filename.""rn"		  ."Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64rn"		  ."Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="".$filename.""rnrn"		  .$content."rnrn"		  ."--".$uid."--";		mail( $to,  $subject, $message, $header, "-f{$from}"); 	}
Edited by Ashish Sood

I've wrote this once, try this

$email = $_POST['email'];		$subject = $_POST['subject'];		$message = $_POST['body'];		$filename = $_FILES['file']['name'];		$size = $_FILES['file']['size'];		$mime = $_FILES['file']['type'];		$tmp = $_FILES['file']['tmp_name'];		$mime_boundary="==Multipart_Boundary_x".md5(mt_rand())."x";$file = fopen($tmp,'rb');							// Now read the file content into a variable							$data = fread($file,filesize($tmp));							// close the file							fclose($file);							// Now we need to encode it and split it into acceptable length lines							$data = chunk_split(base64_encode($data)); // Now we'll build the message headers						$headers = "From: $emailrn" .						"MIME-Version: 1.0rn" .						"Content-Type: multipart/mixed;rn" .						" boundary="{$mime_boundary}"";						// Next, we'll build the message body note that we insert two dashes in front of the MIME boundary when we use it						$message = "This is a multi-part message in MIME format.nn" .						"--{$mime_boundary}n" .						"Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"n" .						"Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bitnn" .						$message . "nn";						// Now we'll insert a boundary to indicate we're starting the attachment we have to specify the content type, file name, and disposition as an attachment, then add the file content and set another boundary to indicate that the end of the file has been reached						$message .= "--{$mime_boundary}n" .						"Content-Type: {$mime};n" .						" name="{$filename}"n" .						//"Content-Disposition: attachment;n" .						//" filename="{$fileatt_name}"n" .						"Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64nn" .						$data . "nn" .						"--{$mime_boundary}--n"; 						mail('yourmail@mail.com',$subject,$message,$headers);						echo 'Mail Sent!';