Tag <h1> is displayed differently in Chrome and Firefox?

thichtomo

I have a piece of code like following:

body {	margin:0px;	font-family:"Segoe UI",Tahoma,Verdana;	font-size:14px;	background-color:#E3E3E3;}h1 {	background-color:#9dc45f;}
<html>	<head>	    <title></title>	    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles/styles.css"/>	</head>	<body>	    <div id="header">	        <h1>Tag h1 is displayed differently in Chrome and Firefox. Please, tell me why? </h1>            </div>	</body></html>

In Chrome, there is no margin between <h1> and top boundary of browser (as expected). But in Firefox, there is still a distance, approximately 19px, between them. I don't find out the reason of this issue. Please, tell me why!

Different browser have different default margins for elements, the margin in body will only affect the body element nothing else. so chrome might have no margin at top of h1 element, while firefox might have a approx margin 19px at top, and maybe at bottom, that is why it it good practice to zero all element with * {margin: 0; and padding:} at very top of css file, and reset them to requirement for example

*{padding:0;margin:0;}body{font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:62.5%;}p{margin:1em 25px;}h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6{margin:0.9em 7px;}h1 {font-size:2em;}h2 {font-size:1.84em;}h3 {font-size:1.68em;}h4{font-size:1.52em;}h5 {font-size:1.36em;}h6 {font-size:1.20em;}
  • Like 2