whats the point of private IP addresses?

ala888

Like the title says, whats the point of private IP addresses?

Since my network is going to pass through a router en route to the internet, and get NAT translated anyways, cant I designate an arbitrary IP address block for my network?

Ex. 24.1.0.0/16 rather than something like 10.0.0.0 ?What are the ramifications of doing this?

Which network? You can theoretically set an arbitrary block for an internal network, although there will be problems if you choose a block that is allocated to something else. If you say that your network has the same IP block as Google, then you won't be able to reach Google from your network. There are network blocks specifically reserved for use as private networks so that they won't conflict with other addresses. Some routers only let you use those blocks, others will let you specify anything and assume that you know what you're doing.

Well, since I will be running a small personal website and wont need to search for google from my web servers, there should be no conflict, am I right?the internal network can literally be anything, and it would be a trivial fact - since the NAT of the router would be translating everything anyways.

If you have Google's IP address assigned to one of your servers, then anything on the same network as that server will not be able to reach Google.In general, it's just not a good idea to use public IP addresses on private networks. The private network blocks are reserved for a reason; use them. Unless you can think of a compelling reason why the private network blocks aren't going to work in your situation.

I'm not much of a network guy, it's hard to be specific about your situation. For my part, I stick to what I know is going to work and don't try to set things up that might fail for a reason that I haven't thought of. If there is a private network reserved for my use, I use it.

Why would you want to do this? Are you hoping your ISP will terminate your service?

The ISP doesn't (and probably not legally allowed to) care what a person does with his own private network.

The ISP doesn't (and probably not legally allowed to) care what a person does with his own private network.

Well no, but I'm guessing that routers are designed to serve legitimate private IP ranges. If you do something really goofy then you would need to be careful. You don't want to generate illegal network responses outside of your assigned IP address.