red

cascade and external stylesheets - a small puzzle

If I put a couple of properties in the style section of my html page, they work fine. If I take those same two rules and put them at the beginning or end of an external stylesheet (which is otherwise working fine) they do not work. Some conflict somewhere -- and no, putting "!important" or the display property on them doesn't help either. Identical css, just placed in different locations. ( If I put it on both the html and the external css, it also works -- as I expected it would). Here's the snippet: its to permit visible box borders in selected text..story.box{ /* limit to selected story */ margin:0; padding:.5em; border:1px solid black; -webkit-box-sizing: border-box; -moz-box-sizing: border-box; box-sizing: border-box; index:100; }.text.box { margin:0; padding:2em; border:1px solid black; -webkit-box-sizing: border-box; -moz-box-sizing: border-box; box-sizing: border-box; index:100; }

and the markup to invoke it is simply: <div class="story box">

Edited by red

You can use the browser's developer tools to see what rule is overriding it.

Press F12 to open developer tools, go to the DOM Inspector and click on the element you expected to be styled. On the right panel there will be a list of all the selectors and styles that are being applied to it. There is no "index" property in CSS.

Hmm, thanx for the tool tip. Didn't even know that was there. Useful. &ya, it's "z-index" isn't it. slipped my mind, & I've been using z-index for years. Ah, where did I put my Aricept? :)