Sign in to follow this  
javanewbie22

Best way to parse odd xml file?

Dear Experts,I'm trying to parse an odd XML file that looks like this:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version="1.0"><dict><key>Major Version</key><integer>1</integer><key>Minor Version</key><integer>1</integer><key>Application Version</key><string>9.2.1</string><key>Features</key><integer>5</integer><key>Show Content Ratings</key><true/><key>Library Persistent ID</key><string>9210E514389C76D3</string><key>Tracks</key><dict><key>732</key><dict><key>Track ID</key><integer>732</integer><key>Name</key><string>Tears All Over Town</string><key>Artist</key><string>A Girl Called Eddy</string><key>Album Artist</key><string>A Girl Called Eddy</string>...</dict><key>760</key><dict><key>Track ID</key><integer>760</integer><key>Name</key><string>The Nightingale</string><key>Artist</key><string>Angelo Badalamenti</string><key>Album</key><string>Twin Peaks</string><key>Genre</key><string>Soundtrack</string><key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string><key>Size</key><integer>7109800</integer><key>Total Time</key><integer>296150</integer><key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer><key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer><key>Track Number</key><integer>4</integer><key>Track Count</key><integer>11</integer><key>Year</key><integer>1990</integer><key>Date Modified</key><date>2006-01-04T06:51:56Z</date><key>Date Added</key><date>2009-04-02T02:04:11Z</date><key>Bit Rate</key><integer>192</integer><key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer><key>Play Count</key><integer>4</integer><key>Play Date</key><integer>3493240930</integer><key>Play Date UTC</key><date>2014-09-11T05:42:10Z</date><key>Sort Name</key><string>Nightingale</string><key>Persistent ID</key><string>9B002DC50111B620</string><key>Track Type</key><string>File</string><key>File Folder Count</key><integer>4</integer><key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer></dict><key>762</key>...Every field in the Itunes format has <key> for the fieldname, and the <datatype> surrounding the value.This looks a lot different from the xml format that I saw in this tutorial.http://www.stat.purdue.edu/~mdw/490M/STAT490Mday29.txt<CD><TITLE>Picture book</TITLE><ARTIST>Simply Red</ARTIST><COUNTRY>EU</COUNTRY><COMPANY>Elektra</COMPANY><PRICE>7.20</PRICE><YEAR>1985</YEAR></CD>First I experimented using grep on cygwin. But I don't know how to get a specific set of three lines out of the grouping with grep.With R, I was trying to parse the file, until I looked and saw that the format was different from all the examples.This post made it look easy:How can I export my iTunes library information to a spreadsheet?https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-export-my-iTunes-library-information-to-a-spreadsheetBut it completely failed. The xml doc got imported into Open Office as a document. Not a spreadsheet.For each CD, I want to extract the Artist, Album, and Composer (if it's there)Questions:Is there a name for this type of XML file?What would be the best tool and way to parse the info from the file?grep on cygwinRPythonJavaXQuerysomething else???Thanks a lot!