Deprecated tags/elements

reportingsjr

By the way, why are you always so negative to everything? Every time I have seen you post or something you are either negative, or nothing.   Try to be nice ok?
Who is negative??? LOL your quotes are missing the quoters name.

I... think... he referes to me. Scince both quotes are from me... right? Well, why am I negative at times... hm... I guess I'm just too serious sometimes. Not to mention that I try to explain things fully for educating the "asker" better but I do realize such kind of approach is not always the best one.As for this credit stuff... nevermind. It was just a suggestion based on what I think. It doesn't truly matter as long as both (nick)names are mentioned.And Dan, do try to be more... *looks into the dictionary*... indulgent to people's opinions. I agree with Jonas that invalid page showing invalid stuff is an ironic page. Such critics are said for the better to come out, not for the worst being noticed (hey, that's kind of a philosophy... and it's my own mind that thought of it just now :) ). I was thinking of updating your page on my own too, but I didn't, because I was expecting such reaction :) .

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to, and I acepted my page wasn't valid, so that is why I did transformed it with success, but I can't take it anymore..:)All I get everywhere is negative discussions, criticism and complaints.. I haven't got any intending negative meanings, All I want to do here is help the askers

Again I'll say my new thought, that critics are said for the better to come out, not the worst being noticed. Receiving critics means that people DO appreciate what you have done. I know that first hand (believe me, you don't need to know what I mean). Besides, look at FF and Opera. How do you think they got better then IE? It's because they listen to their users and react on time to their requests. The other alternative is not receiving any comments and critics meaning your work sucks so bad, that it's not even worth looking at.[edit]Here's another critisism just to keep the topic on track:The "alt" attribute as far as I know is not deprecated... yet. It will be in XHTML 2.0, but not for now.[/edit][edit]Opps. Noticed you mean the one on the <applet> tag. Well, it's useless to point that out too, scince the tag is deprecated anyway.[/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

I have changed all the things you mentioned, if the topic creator (or Jonas, while he can edit the first post too) could edit his post so that my page is mentioned, and deletes his own list, then we can think about additional changes, couldn't we? :blink:@Jonas: give me time to transform it into Xhtml, and not directly creating your own :) One page is enough :blink:

@reportingsjr, Couldn't we mention my page at your first post? It would be easier for newcomers to find it, as it was inspired by the same ideals you had/have :blink:[*Edit:] Not to be rude :angry: but Jonas' was just a hard copy of mine, to try to make it Xhtml valid, which I can do myself too :)

Exactly, I just made it for fun, and what does Jonas do? He kopies it "becauise it is not valid Xhtml"Ungrateful :) I do have made it, you wouldn't even try it :blink:I am trying to transform it into xhtml, which will be a succes eventually. But I think I might get some thanks for I made this thing, if it doesn't get to the first post, I can every bit as good as delete it anyway  :mellow:

Why I don't like somebody just copied my whole page: because I did made an effort in trying to put the data in a table.I made the table ALL BY MY SELF, just like this list, all by my self. I only copied the data from the list of the first topicI don't necessary want recognition, but I just want to help forummers, placing the link at the best location so they don't have to search for it.However, I am tired of this discussion. My good plans did not turn out to be appreciated, as how I feel they do.

I tried to, and I acepted my page wasn't valid, so that is why I did transformed it with success, but I can't take it anymore..:(All I get everywhere is negative discussions, criticism and complaints.. I haven't got any intending negative meanings, All I want to do here is help the askers

I'm sorry if you felt I was "stealing" your spotlight or anything. I never meant to step on anyone's toes. I'm pretty good (and fast) with html-->xhtml/css conversion, and I had nothing better to do, so I just went ahead and did it.If you notice, I have not put it out on my own server, but just added it as an attachment in my post. Nor have I changed or added any credit to reflect back on me. You're absolutely right, one page is enough, and so my only intention ever was for you to use the version I made. I don't want credit, and I don't need it. You did the hard work, no one has denied that. The only credit I need is to know that I saved you some work. No mention necessary, I just wanted to help. And I don't doubt that you're capable. Criticism is good if it is constructive criticism, which is all I have given you on this topic.

Okay, fair enough :) Maybe I was too hard on you all too. I do my best, but sometimes I just misanderstand or catch wrong. You're right, constructive criticism is good, and I have taken care of them. :)[but I still like my link to get n the first post :) not for personal gain but for the best]

Okay everybody.. It went from nice people helping out other people to, people copying list and turning everything into a flame war. Can we have some mods in here delete the "bad" post (the ones you think are all basically flames). Thank you mods..Lets turn around and help people again, not make problems worse.

Here's just my next 2 cents (eventually turning into a dollar) for this table:Scince elements such as <applet> have XHTML equivalents, and presentational attributes have CSS ones, I suggest you remove the columns for HTML and CSS examples, and turn the names of the elements into links to the HTML examples. Turn the names of the replacements into links for the new way's examples.Also, the replacement for <applet> is <object> and you should add the <embeded> element or however it was spelled. You could also add the <menu> (replacement: <ul>) and <wbr> (defines a word break. replacement: none (?!?!)) tags.[edit] I see you have some menu attribute. I'm thinking it's actually the element I'm talking about? [/edit]

HTML and CSS columns removed, names of the elements linked to examples, and names of replacements linked to the new way's examples :)Replacement for <applet> added, tomorrow I'll add <embed>, <menu> element added, with replacements, <wbr> I'll might add, I don't know it yet. Moved menu from attris to elems. :blink:Someone some more :) I'll be happy to change, add or edit :)

Okay everybody.. It went from nice people helping out other people to, people copying list and turning everything into a flame war. Can we have some mods in here delete the "bad" post (the ones you think are all basically flames). Thank you mods..Lets turn around and help people again, not make problems worse.

There hasn't been any flame war in this thread as far as I can see. There have been disagreements and even misunderstandings, but those have been corrected. Nowhere has there been name-calling or directly insulting comments directed at someone. So I don't think there's anything to edit or remove really. There's no use trying to portray this forum as picture perfect. It is a help/discussion forum, and so discussion is allowed.That being said, the list is really coming along nicely now... :)

Really, thank you :) I have been able to do almost all the requests. Are there any major changes that should be made, in order to have the page like in our common preference?I 'haven't heared of any element like <wbr>, Don't know what to do with <embed> and can't find any more examples :)

Edited by Dan The Prof

There is an info and some issues for <wbr> on www.quirksmode.org in this topic. When searching through W3C site, I found out that it's netscape that invented this element, and it wasn't part of W3C specification. So if we're talking only "official" W3C tags, then you could possibly not mention this one.Name's replacement is "id".The replacement for Nowrap is using the <pre> element I think. Look at the code and codebox BBCodes' source for instanse. Oh, and isn't "Nowrap" an element? Or does it exist both as an attribute and an element maybe?The replacement for the language attribute is type I think. At least, that's what I see used.Also, there is a replacement for the target attribute. Just not supported anywhere yet. See the CSS3 Hyperlink Presentation Module for details.You may put the replacement elements into "<" and ">" like the "original" tags, so it's well differed when something is an element or an attribute.I also thought about something like a column for when the element/attribute appeared and scince when it's deprecated, but that's not going to be much of a desired improvement. Not for now at least.

<center> | Aligns elements horizontally, shorthand for align=center | Replaced with CSS text-align:center | Note: apply to the parent element
Actually the text-align: center; on the parent element is only in IE. The proper way to do it (not supported by IE yet) is to give the element you want to align margin: 0 auto; in CSS. :)

The replacement for Nowrap is using the <pre> element I think. Look at the code and codebox BBCodes' source for instanse. Oh, and isn't "Nowrap" an element? Or does it exist both as an attribute and an element maybe?

actually there is a replacement for this in CSS. white-space:nowrap;nowrap isn't an element, <nobr> is.

margin: 0 auto is supported in IE you just have to give the element a fixed width first.

Hmm. You're right, apparently. I never knew this. Why have I then used text-align: center; on the parent element for so long? :)

I haven't noted that attributes "name" and "target" will be replaced wy whatever, while I was still in the knowledge of it being discussed about the why, what and when :)Replacements elements have been 'elemented' by angled brackets.<nowrap> is no element indeed, atleast not W3C. What should I eventually do to the <center>, target and name attri/elems?

Umm.. sorry ive been away for a while :)But everyone who made a submission, could you post it in the right format? I mean, I would think you people would read the WHOLE post before submiting something to it :) So please resubmit them in the right syntax.