Name tag is obsolete? I need a replacement.

Emerogork

Although Name tag works, the validator chokes on it and I tried the suggested Section tag but it has too much baggage and ruins the image of my web page.

Is there a replacement for Name?

I have my glossary hyperlinked with `<a href="#Electronics"> Electronics </a>` and `<a name="Electronics"></a>` as the landing mark. It works perfectly because I can send the reader to the center of a paragraph when I need to. Apparently it is now obsolete.

I finally found the method to use the Section tag.

I still use the same `href` but have Section instead of Name.

I tried `<section id="Electronics"/> but that did not validate.

I tried `<section id="Electronics"></section> but the validator claims I need a header.

I tried `<section id="Electronics"> </section> with a space and then with a period. Nope again.

I then used `<section id="Electronics"><h6>.<h6></section>` and the validator accepted it.

However but now my paragraph is all messed up. Not only is there a blank line in the middle of the paragraph but any css for font size is not the same after the Section tag.

Is there any CSS to defeat all defaults of the Section tag?I tried `section { display: inline;}` in my Style section but that did not work either.

After all this exploration, maybe ther is a better way.

I have 148 of these entries to fix.

This whole problem revolves around my need to send the reader to a location within a paragraph: mot to the beginning of one and not to the end of one and to do it without messing up the style of my web page.

Thoughts appreciated......

The only tag you can use without changing look of current text is the span tag.But! There has never been a name tag? A name attribute yes as in <p name="gohere">...</p> which is used for bookmark, using <a href="#gohere">gohere</a>, but also a id ref can be used instead of name attribute now.

Edited by dsonesuk