which language does ebay use?

virtualadz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no dont close it. just when i was about to rejoice in the fact that i figured it out, but am having no idea why it's behaving differently on the server, the code works great on my PC, but on site, see the error live, bhuratea.com , and this is my server side code, what could be wrong in there, <?php/* $Id: search.php,v 1.22 2003/02/10 22:31:05 hpdl Exp $*/?><!-- search //--><script type="text/javascript"><!--// #### clear form ### function cls(str){ str.value = ""; return;}//--></script> <tr> <td><?php $info_box_contents = array(); $info_box_contents[] = array('text' => BOX_HEADING_SEARCH); new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, false); $info_box_contents = array(); $info_box_contents[] = array('form' => tep_draw_form('quick_find', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get'), 'align' => 'right', 'text' => tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" value="Search" onFocus="if(this.value=='Search') this.value='';" onBlur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search';" style="width: ' . (BOX_WIDTH-20) . 'px"') . '<br>' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH) . '<br>' . BOX_SEARCH_TEXT . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) . '">' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH . '</a>'); new infoBox($info_box_contents);?> </td> </tr><!-- search_eof //-->

// #### clear form ### function cls(str){str.value = "";return;}
That function doesn't do anything, it doesn't even get executed. What is the problem? The onfocus and onblur events should be replacing the value of the elements.Here is another example:http://networkservices.pro/support/login.php

one quick question: doesnt a flash movie validate, i am recieving so many errors when i validate, i have never heard of such, is it that a flash movie can't be validated?
Note: The <embed> element is supported by both Internet Explorer and Netscape, but it is not a standard HTML or XHTML element. The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommend using the <object> element instead.
http://www.w3schools.com/flash/flash_inhtml.aspSee: Step 4

this is my flash movie code, what is wrong with it<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="630" height="150" id="flash_fma_finished" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /><param name="movie" value="swf.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><embed src="swf.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="630" height="150" name="flash_fma_finished" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></object>

one quick question: doesnt a flash movie validate, i am recieving so many errors when i validate, i have never heard of such, is it that a flash movie can't be validated?

Flash will not function unless it's the part that's running is valid. If you open the .fla and click Ctrl+Enter and errors pop up you know something is not running or valid. Flash AS doesn't allow short cuts like some browsers allow with html.Also FLash is more like a programming language where you compile a finished product. So people can't just go to a W3C page and check for errors in your flash or in Window OS...

reply to:dcole.ath.cx: i would have taken a note of what you said but first there are no errors when i press ctrl+enter or in other words play the movie, and secondly, this movie ain't created by me, it's by the flash makers themselves or their company

The problem is the embed tag.  See scott's post.

well, i took a sharp note of scott's post, and visited the url, tried to match the minimum code there with my movie, everything's ok. it's also written there "Let the Flash Program do the Work" , i published the html code using flash and so no hand in mine, it all done by the program. by the way what's the error in embed tag

ok, i will remove it from this code, but then what about this "This is because the <object> tag is recognized by Internet Explorer, and Netscape recognizes the <embed> tag and ignores the <object> tag." it's written in the tut <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="630" height="150" id="flash_fma_finished" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /><param name="movie" value="swf.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><embed src="swf.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="630" height="150" name="flash_fma_finished" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></object>

wont removing the embed tag also not show the movie in netscape, i downloaded latest flash 8, and used it's publish functions, they should have known and posted the embed tag there or is it that they dont know it's not allowed any more.

It one of the decisions we are forced to make when coding.Do i make my code valid but won't work cross browser.orDo i make my code work cross browser but not validate.That decision rests with you...

it's not the question making it cross-browser compatible, although we all love too, but justsomeguy told that the embed tag isn't in use any more. whereas the tut's say to use it for netscape, i took the tut's advice, but couldn't sideline what justsomeguy said too!. i would like my site first to be cross-browser rather success validation, so should i ignore what justsomeguy said?

Like i said the decision rests with you.If making the site cross browser you need to add embed then so be it, just be prepared to fail validation.What's most important for your site, validation or cross browser? based on your answer you know what to do.

I wouldn't put too much weight on Netscape. The way I see it it is a dead browser, pretty much replaced by Mozilla/Firefox. That Flash tutorial is a bit outdated, made in a time when IE and NN was the two main competing browsers. Not so anymore.

I wouldn't put too much weight on Netscape. The way I see it it is a dead browser, pretty much replaced by Mozilla/Firefox. That Flash tutorial is a bit outdated, made in a time when IE and NN was the two main competing browsers. Not so anymore.

are you talking about the movie on my site. well i dont know much about that, it was a tut named cafe_townsend, which i tweaked a liitle bit to match my site's images. that's it, dont have any more idea about that

I mean there's not much point using embed. I think IE/Firefox/Opera support object, and Netscape isn't as popular a browser as it once was...