patricia_grace

Script tag needed...?

In the beginning of the JavaScript tutorial, there are several examples of working with JavaScript that don't include any script tags. I was able to duplicate the examples with my own text editor and browser, also.

However, later in the tutorial it is stated "In HTML, JavaScript code must be inserted between <script> and </script> tags."

It is a bit confusing, and I am wondering why the script tags weren't needed in the first few examples, such as the one below:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>
<h1>What Can JavaScript Do?</h1>
<p id="demo">JavaScript can change HTML content.</p>
<button type="button" onclick="document.getElementById('demo').innerHTML = 'Hello JavaScript!'">Click Me!</button>
</body>
</html>
Which runs fine without the script tags. I was able to duplicate it with my own text editor and browser.
Thanks in advance for any help offered!
patricia

In Fact,You Can Run JavaScript In Several Ways,You Can Create A Script Directly In Your Page Or Embed It From External Source Using The <script> Tag,Or You Can Add It Inline Using Events Like "onclick",So Actually There Is No Difference.

• Like 1

They are wrong when they say it must be embedded in <script> tags. It also can be in an even attribute.

But as a general rule, you use <script> tags for Javascript. I discourage the use of event attributes.

• Like 1