PHP - Passing Variables with Superglobals

iwato

QUESTION:  When a variable is passed via a super global from one file to another what happens to the variable that is passed?

• Where is it stored?
  • What is its half-life?

Roddy

A super global is available during the execution of the process. What do you mean by passing it to another file?

If the file is included, it has access to all the superglobals of the file that included it.

Hi Ingolme, I was not clear.  I want to know where the superglobal is stored?  And, for how long I can use it and its contents after it has been sent.

Based upon your response I should probably ask, if there is a way to pass a superglobal in such a way that it is permanently stored, and then accessible from any file with a get_file_contents( ) method.

Roddy

The superglobal is like any other variable in the PHP process, it only exists during the time the script is running. If you want to store its value permanently somewhere you can use a database or write it to a file.

If you want to store something for one user during a browsing session you can use PHP sessions.

• Like 1

If you want to store something for one user during a browsing session you can use PHP sessions.

I am not there yet.

If you want to store its value permanently somewhere you can use a database or write it to a file.

OK.  This is what I needed to know.  As ever, thank you, for your wonderful help.