Which Apache ver to use: 2.2 or 2.4

LivingLearning

Hi all,

I'm leaning all this web server stuff and am enjoying it so far.

Have done all the reading on HTML, CSS, JS, MySql, PHP. 

Am at a point where I need to create a test server to mash it all together.  I am running on Win 8.1 (64bit) (I can run 32bit fine, no prefference), and my test server will be my development pc.  It is an HP Envy fully stacked, haha!  I'm running Norton software for firewall as well as MBAM for added protection.

I have created 'flat' web pages for practice and am looking forward to linking the MySQL/PHP side into things, so I can continue the learning curve more appropriately.

My q is simple.  Should I go with the latest ver of Apache (2.4) or stick with Apache (2.2).

I have no preferences, so it shouldn't really matter.  I'm NOT looking to go live host for web pages until I feel much more comfortable with the whole circle of things here, LOL.

It's just time for this test server setup and keep on learning.

I've read through the FAQ's on this site about it, but that post is a bit old now.  Hence my double check on the Apache Ver.

I also noticed that if I tried to install via the XAMPP option, it seems to have a MariaDB instead of MySQL??  Is this just a joke on newbies (haha) or have they switched it out.

I'd probably rather stay with MySQL for kicks.

Thanks in advance,

Unless you have a particular reason for using an older version, it would make sense to use the newest stable version.

MariaDB is a fork of the MySQL project after Oracle made some unwelcome changes to MySQL.  MariaDB was forked by the original author of MySQL.  It should be compatible, but it's on a different development path from what Oracle wanted to do after buying MySQL.