Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '$formproc' (T_VARIABLE), expecting ',' or ')' in C:\xampp\htdocs\contact.php on line 17

alphaboss

Hello everyone I am trying add the mail() function with the strings from $formproc and $headers but I keep getting this error when I save the php file and refresh page on my web browser it says Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '$formproc' (T_VARIABLE), expecting ',' or ')' in C:\xampp\htdocs\contact.php on line 17 I am not sure what is wrong here any help and solutions is greatly appreciated thanks very much in advance. PS  here is the php file below.

<?PHP
/*
    Contact Form from HTML Form Guide
    This program is free software published under the
    terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License.
    See this page for more info:
    http://www.html-form-guide.com/contact-form/contact-form-attachment.html
*/
require_once("./include/fgcontactform.php");

$formproc = new FGContactForm();

//1. Add your email address here.
//You can add more than one receipients.
$formproc->AddRecipient('AlphaBoss17@outlook.com'); //<<---Put your email address here
$headers = $formproc->SafeDisplay('email');
mail(string $formproc','string $headers);

//2. For better security. Get a random tring from this link: http://tinyurl.com/randstr
// and put it here
$formproc->SetFormRandomKey('HG9hPBpn9Bn26yg');

$formproc->AddFileUploadField('photo','jpg,jpeg,gif,png,bmp',2024);

if(isset($_POST['submitted']))
{
   if($formproc->ProcessForm())
   {
        $formproc->RedirectToURL("thank-you.php");
   }
}

?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en-US" lang="en-US">
<head>
     <meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html; charset=utf-8'/>
     <title>Alpha Boss Computer Services</title>
     <link rel="STYLESHEET" type="text/css" href="contact.css" />
     <script type='text/javascript' src='scripts/gen_validatorv31.js'></script>
     <script type='text/javascript' src='scripts/fg_captcha_validator.js'></script>
     <link rel="icon" href="http://localhost/alpha.png" type="image/png" sizes="16x16">
</head>
<body style="background-color:lightblue;">

<!-- Form Code Start -->
<form id='contactus' action='<?php echo $formproc->GetSelfScript(); ?>' method='post' enctype="multipart/form-data" accept-charset='UTF-8'>

<fieldset >
<legend>Contact us</legend>

<input type='hidden' name='submitted' id='submitted' value='1'/>
<input type='hidden' name='<?php echo $formproc->GetFormIDInputName(); ?>' value='<?php echo $formproc->GetFormIDInputValue(); ?>'/>
<input type='text'  class='spmhidip' name='<?php echo $formproc->GetSpamTrapInputName(); ?>' />

<div class='short_explanation'>* required fields</div>

<div><span class='error'><?php echo $formproc->GetErrorMessage(); ?></span></div>
<div class='container'>
    <label for='name' >Your Full Name*: </label><br/>
    <input type='text' name='name' id='name' value='<?php echo $formproc->SafeDisplay('name') ?>' maxlength="50" /><br/>
    <span id='contactus_name_errorloc' class='error'></span>
</div>
<div class='container'>
    <label for='email' >Email Address*:</label><br/>
    <input type='text' name='email' id='email' value='<?php echo $formproc->SafeDisplay('email') ?>' maxlength="50" /><br/>
    <span id='contactus_email_errorloc' class='error'></span>
</div>
<div class='container'>
    <label for='message' >Message:</label><br/>
    <span id='contactus_message_errorloc' class='error'></span>
    <textarea rows="10" cols="50" name='message' id='message'><?php echo $formproc->SafeDisplay('message') ?></textarea>
</div>
<div class='container'>
    <label for='photo' >Upload your photo:</label><br/>
    <input type="file" name='photo' id='photo' /><br/>
    <span id='contactus_photo_errorloc' class='error'></span>
</div>

<div class='container'>
    <input type='submit' name='Submit' value='Submit' />
</div>

</fieldset>
</form>
<!-- client-side Form Validations:
Uses the excellent form validation script from JavaScript-coder.com-->

<script type='text/javascript'>
// <![CDATA[

var frmvalidator  = new Validator("contactus");
    frmvalidator.EnableOnPageErrorDisplay();
    frmvalidator.EnableMsgsTogether();
    frmvalidator.addValidation("name","req","Please provide your name");

frmvalidator.addValidation("email","req","Please provide your email address");

frmvalidator.addValidation("email","email","Please provide a valid email address");

frmvalidator.addValidation("message","maxlen=2048","The message is too long!(more than 2KB!)");

frmvalidator.addValidation("photo","file_extn=jpg;jpeg;gif;png;bmp","Upload images only. Supported file types are: jpg,gif,png,bmp");
// ]]>
</script>
</body>
</html>

Php mail() function first parameter is a string which is the "to" address. You have the $formproc object there instead. 

Example: 

mail($to, $subject, $message); // 'me@mail.com', 'this is subject', 'this is a message'  

Each parameter for the mail function is string.  The fourth parameter would be headers which is optional but good to add.

See: http://php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

According to the online PHP manual for the PHP mail( ) function:

bool mail ( string $to , string $subject , string $message [, string $additional_headers [, string $additional_parameters ]] )

You have written:

mail(string $formproc','string $headers);

The word string is simply telling you the variable type to be entered.  You do not include it as part of the function's argument(s).

Also, may I venture to suggest that the value of the variable that you have labeled $headers in the following line of code is indeed the email address of the recipient.

$headers = $formproc->SafeDisplay('email');

If so, why are you assigning it to a variable named $headers? and not $to or $email or what ever variable name you chose.  The mail( ) function only cares that the variable type of what you enters is correct, and that what you enter is entered in the proper order.

All arguments written in brackets in the PHP manual are optional.  You appear to have nothing more than an email address, and the function requires both a subject heading and message.

Try,

$to = $formproc->SafeDisplay('email');
$subject = 'An email subject heading of your choice';
$message = 'A message to be placed in the body of the email.  Once again, you get to choose.';

And, then do as Don suggested.

Roddy

ps.  Do not forget to check the trophy in the heart pop-up, if our answers help.

Hello I did everything that you suggested but when I saved the php file and refreshed my web browser I get Warning: mail(): "sendmail_from" not set in php.ini or custom "From:" header missing in C:\xampp\htdocs\contact.php on line 20 I added the same email address from $formproc->AddRecipient in the sendmail_from in php.ini I also added a From header with that email address but when I saved the file again and refreshed the page I get Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 530 5.7.57 SMTP; Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM [YTOPR0101CA0019.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM] in C:\xampp\htdocs\contact.php on line 21 here is what I added to both the php.ini file the php file as suggested to the first warning above:

From php.ini file: sendmail_from = AlphaBoss17@outlook.com

From php file: $to = $formproc->SafeDisplay('email');
$subject = 'Form was submitted';
$message = 'New message from a visitor';
$headers = "From: AlphaBoss17@outlook.com \r\n";
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers); // 'AlphaBoss17@outlook.com', 'Form was submitted', 'New message from a visitor'

I want people to be able to add their full name, email address, and message including uploading photos for submission when they visit the contact page. So I wanted to test it out first before hand. Any ideas as what is happening here? Thanks.

Edited by alphaboss

The SMTP error means you're trying to send mail using the Outlook SMTP server because you have sendmail_from in php.ini set to your email address which is an Outlook email address and you haven't set up the authentication to do so with the Outlook SMTP server. 

What you can try is to send the mail locally from your server but if your server doesn't have an email server, then you may want to try something like PHPMailer. See this link for it provides how to do send email with PHPMailer with Outlook: https://subinsb.com/send-mails-via-smtp-server-gmail-outlook-php/

You can do anything your ISP allows you to do.  For a while a lot of ISPs blocked outgoing email ports for home internet service, I don't know what the situation is where you live but you can do whatever they allow.  If they have all of those ports open then you can run your own mail server.