iwato

Javascript Event Listener on CSS Pseudo Selector

I recently tried, on my own machine, to implement three code segments (HTML, CSS, and Javascript) that I found on Fiddler. What I thought would be a quick aside turned into well over an hour's worth of failed experimentation.  Can you find anything wrong with the code that I was not able (click on Fiddler above).

I do not like to leave unfinished work in defeat, but must move on.  Matomo is just plain exciting!

Roddy

I just tested the code in three browsers and it is working correctly, even in Internet Explorer. What is the issue?

I have no trouble making the code work in the Fiddle context either.  It is when I take it out of context that it fails.

Roddy

I can't help you if you don't show me the code in a context where it doesn't work.

• Thanks 1

I realize this, but it is fairly complex.  With your prompting I just eliminated the context and was able to make it work.  For the moment this will have to be satisfactory.

Thanks!

Roddy

ADDENDUM:  For what it is worth, I discovered the problem by working backward from a blank HTML file.  The appearance of any addition <h3> element disrupts the procedure. 

QUESTION:  How would you explain this?  What would cause the script to fail in the presence of another <h3> tag?

Roddy

Edited by iwato

The Javascript only targets the first h3 element on the page, it's pretty obvious from the code. I would hope you're not just copying and pasting code without knowing what it does.

That might be the reason that I ask.  Javascript is still a little foreign to me.  I work much better with PHP.

Roddy